Rooster cannot walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pinky, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    My RIR rooster has not walked for 4 days now. The first day he would trip and fall. When I helped him up he would run and fall down again. I put him in a cage so the other birds wouldn't bother him. His spurs were really long so I thought that was what was keeping him from walking. Today I trimmed the spurs just a little bit and put him on the ground. He still can walk, just kinda scoots with his wings, but not too far. I gave him some bread and he had no problem eating it. He even pinched my finger pretty hard. I gave him some water and he acted like he was dehydrated.
    There's no sores or cuts on him. He also will not sit like the other chickens. He sort of lays on his side like when they take dust baths. Eyes are normal and his face is clean.
    When I trimmed the spurs, I didn't want to cut too far so I started with just taking the tip off, no bleeding. Should I cut more off or is it something else? I don't know what to do. He is 6 years old.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Sounds like it's something else. Have you checked for bumblefoot and/or scaly leg mites? Is there any swelling on the joints or anywhere else on his legs? Could he have flown down from a high roost and strained or pulled a muscle or ligament?
    ETA; if it's the latter, you can soak his leg in warm epsom salts water for about 20 minutes. Keep him seperated and provide him feed and water. You can crush a vitamin B complex tablet and sprinkle it in his feed, this might help his leg(s) heal quicker. More importantly, he'll need rest and relaxation.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  3. Pinky

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    He sleeps on a log outside the coop. He would never go in it. What is bumblefoot? His legs do look more red than yellow. I haven't looked at the bottom of his foot.
    Can you see the scaly leg mites? The scales(or whatever they are called on his legs) are sort of raised.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Please read what I added to my last post. If you see red streaks on his legs, dont worry that is normal (hormones flowing,springtime.)
    Bumblefoot- look on the bottom of his feet, if you see a dark in color round scab, that is bumblefoot. If it looks puffed up, red in color and hot to the touch...you'll need to do minor surgery.
    Scaly leg mites- look at the scales on his legs...if they are somewhat upturned, cruddy looking and nasty looking, that's leg mites.

5. Pinky

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I looked at his foot. There is a small black spot on it, but it doesn't look swollen. It looks like a scab. His scales are raised but they are clean. Could it be an early case of mites? Thank you for taking the time to help me [​IMG] I'll try the vitamin b and soak his legs. Don't know how he's going to react to a leg soak.
    Oh, and does this mean I shouldn't bother with his spurs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by