Rooster Cannot walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jpokry12, Aug 1, 2013.

1. jpokry12

jpokry12 New Egg

Apr 18, 2013
    A few days ago I found our only Rooster laying on the ground outside unable to walk. He had lost a ton of weight also. It has been about 6 days now since I separated him from the hens. He is eating and drinking and gaining a little bit of weight back. When I try to put him on his feet, the feet actually cross and it looks like they may be broken or something is majorly wrong. I dont want him to suffer and I am thinking that it may be time to put the poor guy out of his misery. We have given him a mixture of water, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup and coillidial silver. I am posting as one last ditch effort to see if anyone has suggestion. He can move his legs but he cannot stand. Any help s much appreciated.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Feel his legs. Do you feel any breaks, swellings, or abnormally hot spots? What type of feed are you feeding him? Weak legs can be caused by vitamins deficiencies.

You say he is thin, which gives me another idea. He might have worms, which can make a chicken thin and too weak to stand. If you want to try it, I would worm him and see if that helps. The wormer I use is the Worminator (you can find it here:http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584). The dosage is two drops for large-fowl, one drop for bantams. If he does have worms, though, don't expect a speedy recovery. Even once the worms are gone from his system, it will take a while for him to rebuild some muscle and strength. Just continue feeding him, making sure he drinks, and keeping him clean and warm. Give vitamins and definitely probiotics in his water, if possible, too.

Hope I've helped. Good luck!

3. jpokry12

jpokry12 New Egg

Apr 18, 2013
    Thank you so much for taking time to respond. I will definitely find some de-wormer and we will see if that works. I picked up some tetrocycline last night but havent started him on it. What do you k now about that? It looks like it may only help with respiratory diseases. Also, we use Dumor feed from tractor supply. I really want to find some better food too. The labeling is very vague and shady.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You're welcome. I just went through a very similar situation with one of my cocks. He couldn't stand for over a week, and I had to hand feed him several times a day, as he wouldn't eat or drink on his own. I ended up treating him with Tylan injections because he started to develop a respiratory problem. After 4 days of Tylan, he was standing. Maybe it was an infection all along, and the Tylan cleared it up. I doubt that I will ever know; I'm just glad that he recovered! I hope that yours does the same.

And as far as I know, Tetracycline is an antibiotic that is commonly used to treat infections, particularly respiratory infections, in fowl. However, because of this common use, many strains of bacteria are resistant to Tetracycline, so the antibiotic is not very effective. You could try it, though, and see if it works. I personally wouldn't start him on an antibiotic until he gets a bit stronger, as antibiotics can be hard on a bird's system. Other antibiotics to try, which perhaps would be more effective than Tetracycline, include Terramycin (also known as Oxytetracycline), Tylan, and Duramycin. I have experience with the first two. The Terramycin dosage is 1/8 teaspoon powdered Terramycin per cup of drinking water for 7-14 days (improvement is usually noticed after 3-4 days). The Tylan dosage is .5 ccs for large-fowl, .2 ccs for bantams, injected into one side of the breast once daily for 3-5 days. Results appear within the first 2-3 days.

If you have any more questions, just ask. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by