Rooster can't bend leg or walk

Oleaster

Chirping
Oct 21, 2018
New England
My 16-week-old rooster, Snowy, can't bend his left leg at all and has a lot of difficulty walking due to it. That leg is not directly underneath him but rather touching the ground diagonally. When he tries to walk the foot on that leg prevents him from stepping forwards. However, he can still support his weight on it if he is able to balance.

Sort of like this:
IMG_5445.PNG

Ever since we got him two months ago, he has almost always slept with that leg in front, meaning that he was not sitting on both feet like normal chickens. It has now progressed to the point where my mother is thinking that culling might be necessary.

I will be posting a video of him soon to help diagnose him.

At that age it could be the start of Mareks, especially if it continues to go straight out and he stops walking completely. Otherwise he may have slipped a tendon or has an injury.

I'm not sure if he has Mareks because it's been a few months and he has indirectly come into contact with my main flock multiple times and they do not show any symptoms.

Here is the link to the video:

We are thinking that it may be a genetic issue as one of his flockmates had a (slightly) crossed beak.

Looks like Mareks to me. Just because you have a positive Mareks bird doesn't mean others will also show symptoms. Most become immune to it. Personally will see on average one a season that shows signs. Generally between 8 weeks and 5 months. We generally cull as soon as we can tell what it is, so I'm unsure how long they would live if left to go on. Some have said their birds have improved enough to live a longer life. I personally wish to remove those that are symptomatic as they will be actively shedding the virus.

We are thinking that it may be a genetic issue as one of his flockmates had a (slightly) crossed beak.

not sure if he has Mareks because it's been a few months and he has indirectly come into contact with my main flock multiple times and they do not show any symptoms.
I'm just not sure!
It could very well be Marek's. As mentioned by @oldhenlikesdogs not all birds in a flock will become symptomatic of a disease, they would just be carriers.
He's at the right age.
It's hard to see the leg - is it frozen like that, any swelling or twisting of the hock/knee? There's always a possibility it could be a genetic or even a leg bone deformity.

Even if he recovers, I would not use him for breeding.
I'm very sorry, but his quality of life, whether he is suffering or not should also be considered.

Back
Top Bottom