Rooster can't crow, very faded comb, free ranger 1yearish

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ginny73, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Ginny73

Ginny73 Hatching

Nov 14, 2019
    Noticed last Tuesday crow was pathetic, today is nothing but keeps attempting. Don't know how long comb has been in fade mode. Small runny, white/clear poo (size of aussie 50 cent), haven't observed enough to know if eating or drinking. He had 3 chooks in his flock, one has gone rouge,(doesn't hang with them, she's turned loner), hes tried to set authority but she attacks back to him and the other two. Is there something I can do apart from going to the vets?

Attached Files:

2. Quailobsessed

Quailobsessed Songster

Oct 12, 2019
    Australia
    He could be ill. Have you noticed any obvious weight loss? I have had chickens with pale faces and runny poo but I know there is a problem when you pick them up and notice obvious weight loss. I would quarantine him and see if he's eating or drinking. If the other chooks are bullying him then that's also a sign of a weak or ill bird.

3. Ginny73

Ginny73 Hatching

Nov 14, 2019
    Sadly he was very ill, he died in the night

Sequel likes this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. His comb looked very dark in the picture. I would have suspected possible fungal infection, such as aspergillosis, or heart failure. Can you try to do a necropsy on him, and have a look at his organs? Taking pictures of the heart, liver, and other organs and posting here, could turn up an answer. Look for any yellow fluid when opening the abdomen, which could be ascites, common with heart failure. Yellow plaques or patches on organs could be fungus.

Sequel likes this.
  5. Quailobsessed

Quailobsessed Songster

Oct 12, 2019
    Australia
    So sorry for your loss :hugs

Sequel likes this.
  6. Ginny73

Ginny73 Hatching

Nov 14, 2019
    I buried them together, sorry but I don't fancy on bringing him up.. It's also my dad's day of passing 38years ago☹️

Sequel likes this.
  7. Ginny73

Ginny73 Hatching

Nov 14, 2019

Sequel likes this.
  8. Ginny73

Ginny73 Hatching

Nov 14, 2019
    By both, I meant a little week old piglet died also in the night

Sequel likes this.
  9. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    My Coop
    He was suffocating, people comb means lack of oxygen.

I would have suspected gapeworm.

Sequel likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: