Rooster can't figure out his job!!???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hollybird, Jan 27, 2010.

1. hollybird

hollybird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    lebanon
    i have two roos and 30 hens. the younger one is old enough to do it (9months aprox.) but he can't seem to balance and falls off. i have watch a hen go and invite him but he never gets the job completed. never had this trouble with a rooster. any suggestions??

2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    No ideas but I'd love to see it! It must be funny to watch. But so diappointing for him. I'm sure he'll get it with a little time.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Practice makes perfect. Nearly every single egg I collect now is fertile, but it wasn't always that way. At first, Thor was always trying to mount from the side. He finally figured it out. Give your boy some time.

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I second give him some time. I had a roo injured his breastbone in a fight with an older roo, didn't know he was "that old" yet and should have separeted him earlier. For th whole first season he could only breed hens that were very cooperative and preferred it if they parked themselves next to a handicap rail so he could hold on. He is fine this year. Fertility is good and the lump on his breast bone is almost gone too. It was my best rooster Goody, (see my website) and I just HAD to give him time. He is the best roo ever and plus I really NEEDED him in my breeding program. Well worth the wait so far, so good. Give your guy some very docile hens to practice on, even if they are not the right breed.

5. hollybird

hollybird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    lebanon
    i will pen up the other roo so he can be top dog for a while. i'm hoping he gets it figured out. 30 hens should give him plenty of targets! the other roos just naturally knew how right away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by