Rooster can't pick up food

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cgainer, Mar 8, 2017.

1. cgainer

cgainer Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2015
    Thomasville Ga
    My rooster about 3 months old pecks at his food but can't keep it in. I gave him a scrambled egg and he ate that alright but he had his head up??? I'm worried.

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You need to tell us more. Pretend we aren't there seeing this cockerel as you are. Describe his behavior over the past few days. How is he behaving now? Lethargic? Normal? When did he start having problems? How long ago?

Have you felt his crop? Is it still full first thing in the morning or empty as it ought to be? Do you feel a small rock hard mass in the crop? Does he stand still a lot not reacting to anything? Are his eyes closed? Does he extend his neck and gape with his beak like he's yawning?

What are you feeding him? What sorts of treats? Are there other chickens or is he alone?

3. cgainer

May 3, 2015
    Thomasville Ga
    Thanks for your concern. He didn't eat his starter this morning and I threw them some mealworms and he would pick it up and drop and look as if he didn't understand. He'll eat some grass and it will come right out of his mouth. I felt his crop and it's not swollen. I looked into his mouth and his tongue looked green he also had like mucus in there. he keeps rubbing the side of his beak after he tries to eat.

4. cgainer

May 3, 2015
    Thomasville Ga
    Also yesterday I noticed something on the side of his beak that he kept trying to get off. He seems alright but wants to eat but can't, no other symptoms.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Is the green some food/vegetation that may be stuck in there or is it like a plaque?

Does it look like this?
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1080266/canker Picture/Post#10

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by