Rooster can't put any weight on leg/foot

plethora

In the Brooder
Oct 8, 2015
Hello,

Our 4 month old rooster has developed a limp over the last few days that is getting worse. As of today he can barely walk and holds his right leg up even while standing. There are no visible wounds on either the foot or the leg. The ankle area seems swollen relative to the left leg, but that's about it. The right leg/foot is also very warm to the touch.

We have him locked in the coop to try to keep him still, but I'm wondering if putting him on antibiotics would make sense. Would the warmth of the leg indicate an infection?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

It's possible that he may have a sprain.
Keeping him separated in a kennel/crate in the run to keep him from further injury may help.
Offer his normal feed, some extra protein like egg, tuna, mackerel or meat and if you have them give him some poultry vitamins to his for a couple of days. Leg injuries can take several days to start healing.

If you are in an area where it's hot, keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't overheat while he is isolated.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/leg-foot-and-toe-issues-in-poultry-of-all-ages
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Thanks, makes sense. Should he sleep in the cage too?

You can take him out of the cage and let him sleep in the coop with the rest of the flock.
Ideally keep him caged where the flock can see him and visit him while he is on restricted activity. That way you have less integration problems when he has recovered.

I had a hen jump down from a roost and hurt her leg, she wanted to roost so I would let her sleep on the roost at night, but every morning I got up early and removed her from the roost so she wouldn't jump, then put her in the kennel for the day. It took a couple of weeks before she quit limping and now she does just fine getting up and down.
Use your best judgement, if he has limited activity during the day, you may be able to let him out every evening about 30mins before roosting so he can go to bed with the others, you will just have to determine how much restriction he needs.

Back
Top Bottom