Rooster can't see

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ashlierami, Apr 6, 2018.

1. ashlierami

ashlierami Songster

Feb 9, 2017
    Alabama
    One of my roosters got into a fight. Yes I'm aware about keeping multiple roosters and all that. I need advice or information on his eye issue not about how I shouldn't have more than one. Anyways, he got into a fight as all roosters do and he seems to be having trouble seeing. I brought him inside to examine his injuries. His comb and wattles were bleeding as usual and his face seems a bit swollen. When he tried to walk away I noticed he stepped on me and was running into the wall. Both eyes are open and both dialate when I shine a light on them. Neither eye has a visible injury and neither eye is bleeding. Both are clear. What could be going on

2. QuailExpert

QuailExpert Chirping

Jan 12, 2018
    pictures ? could brain trauma be a cause ?

3. ashlierami

ashlierami Songster

Feb 9, 2017
    Alabama
    I thought of that but wasn't quite sure. His area under his eyes is slightly swelled and he has the usual comb and wattles bleeding. I cleaned what I could and applied antibiotic ointment. It was raining so he was wet and I dried him off with a towel and the blow dryer. It was getting dark so I put him to bed by himself. I will try to get pictures in the morning.i know he can see from one eye because he responded to my finger but the other he did not. He also kept his head turned to the side to use his good eye.

4. QuailExpert

QuailExpert Chirping

Jan 12, 2018
    at least there is one good eye ! i would assume the swelling may have taken part depending on the severity but if the other eye is fine i would rule out brain/head trauma. Hope your rooster has a quick recovery !

Angeline1978 likes this.
  5. ashlierami

ashlierami Songster

Feb 9, 2017
    Alabama
    Thank
    Thank you for your help I appreciate it!

6. SeramaMamma

SeramaMamma Songster

Jul 12, 2017
    Idaho
    Assess him tomorrow. He may be shocky and improve overnight

7. ashlierami

ashlierami Songster

Feb 9, 2017
    Alabama
    That's what I was thinking. Maybe he just needs a good night sleep to recover.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: