Rooster can't stand up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CarolineLenaghan, May 20, 2019.

1. CarolineLenaghan

CarolineLenaghan In the Brooder

May 20, 2019
    Hi
    5 days ago I went into the shed to find my rooster lying down. He cannot stand up at all. He is able to shuffle a bit, eats, drinks and doesnt seem in pain. I read previous threads on this subject and started giving him antibiotics yesterday then read today that lack of vitamins can cause this kind of problem, so I started to give vitamins today. He is isolated from my 5 other hens.
    I tried pressing the ball of his feet, they do not move, so I wonder if he has had a stroke.
    Would his feet not move if it was vitamin deficiency does anyone know ?
    He seems happy just unable to walk. He is so pretty.
    But its really not worth the cost of taking him to a vet here in France they are so expensive and I have to be pragmatic about these things.

Any thoughts ? Thank you

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry your guy is having trouble. :hmm

What is his age?

My suggestion STOP the antibiotics... unless you've seen actual cause for concern of an infection they will help. Also please tell us what is is and the dosage?

Most likely culprit without any background info is Marek's...
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

What do you feed on a regular basis including treats and supplements? How many birds total in how much space? How long have you had them? Ever have to treat for coccidiosis? Seen any actual bullying or reason to believe he doesn't have access to the feed? Can you feel any swelling or heat in his leg/feet indicating an injury or infection? Have you had a fecal float done at the vet or are you able to to check (microscopic) parasite load? Have you ever wormed?

Please don't jump on any of my questions and just do it... like worming as treating an ill bird for what they don't have could just push them over the edge instead of helping.

What is the vitamin you are supplementing?

My suggestion.. Poultry nutri drench or (rooster booster brand) poultry cell are great supplements. I like to offer something probiotic if possible to aid those in need.. support the good stuff first. I believe many will use a human b complex in this situation... IF it is nutrient related... it can take a while before recovery is made.

If recovery happens.. doesn't guarantee it wasn't Marek's.. as many birds recover and live with it... sometimes to relapse. So many things poultry related can look the same as so many other things. It's very frustrating. But if you want to know the truth... necropsy is the best way... by your state lab.. not the personal vet. I have link to help with that should you reach that point.

Some folks give their chickens a sling.. some chickens do better than others in them. But it helps get them up and let them stretch and try to put weight on the legs...
    upload_2019-5-20_11-45-6.jpeg [​IMG]

While the other birds will have been exposed already.. separation is good idea IMO... as more exposure to the shedding virus is still MORE exposure.

Are you able to post a video... using youtube and upload here? Sometimes it can be very telling and helpful.

I don't mean to be throwing around scary words like Marek's. Please don't panic or jump to conclusions... hang in there and answer the questions and get more input from others who have dealt with this kind of stuff as well. :fl

Eggcessive likes this.
  3. CarolineLenaghan

May 20, 2019
    Thank you for the reply EggSighted4Life. There is certainly a lot to consider.
    I live in rural France and the system here would seem to be somewhat different to yours. I visited my local vet but not with the rooster as they charge the equivalent to the cost of 4 new roosters to just look, which is why I said I need to be pragmatic !
    It is the vet that gave me the antibiotic and vitamin liquid and dosage needed basedon the weight. I shall be contacting them again after 7 days of treament. If he hasnt improved by then we will have to reconsider.
    He is around 5 years old and we have 5 hens in the same space, Although he is separate from them now.

EggSighted4Life likes this.
  4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Sounds like you are doing all you can!

5 years old would not be a common age for Marek's to show up, though anything is possible since it can come in with wild birds.

My suggestion to stop the antibiotics was when I didn't realize they were given by a vet. Sorry, I would likely follow what my vet told me first!

Also see if getting a fecal float for parasite load is within your budget. At 5 years old it's a possibility a heavy parasite load could cause nutrient deficit. Also if you haven't done a check for external parasites... after dark with a flashlight parting vent feathers and look for things running away gives the best picture of what's going on in that department.

Here is a helpful tool that lists tons of symptoms for you to go through and eliminate the least likely possibilities and further research the possible ones...
    http://www.poultrydvm.com/views/symptoms.php

I like that it helps give me clues about things I might not have even known to look for as a symptom.

Most of us cannot take out chickens to the vet and sooo many vets have zero clue about them anyways. We all do our best though. :hugs

Hope he recovers! A roo must be a pretty good boy in most instances to make it to 5 years old. :fl

igorsMistress and Eggcessive like this.
  5. CarolineLenaghan

May 20, 2019
    Hi

Here are some of the answers you asked for:

So its been a week since Maurice II sat down and stopped walking
    Here are some of the details you asked for:

Just Maurice II and 5 hens just for our pleasure to have eggs.

Antibiotic is Adjusol TMP Sulfa Liquide 1ml = sulfadiazine 83,35mg and Trimethoprine 16,65mg
    Dosage 3ml per 10kg weight
    He weighs just under 3kg so I give just under 0.8ml per day. Started 5 days ago

Vitamins are Virbac Vitavia Hydrosol Polyvitamine ... multiple products in this
    Dose 0.5ml in 1 litre of water twice a week. I am putting 1ml in his water every other day.

Food is wheat, sweetcorn, sunflower seeds and Ponduse (pellets for laying hens. No other food given but they have large outdoor space with gravel and grass. I havent bought oyster shells for a while . Perhaps I should. No other food given.

Indoor area of shed approx 6 metre x 2.5 metres
    Outside space large
    I will try to up load photos

Never treated for coccidiosis, no bullying, no heat, no induries that I can see. Never wormed. Never had anything done at vet. Never heard of fetal float. Not parasites visible.

Havent had a chance to look online what Poultry nuri drench is and if I can get it.

However in last two days he has stood up. He is supporting his own weight and moving slowly. Im keeping him on his own away from the hens for now.

Have you a brand of probiotic you can suggest please, Im worried the human ones I use maybe the wrong type or too strong.

My daughter who is a 5th year student doctor suggested B vitamins in particular B1, 6 and 12 so Im going to look for those.

Its been a mad week with here with other work !

This morning he was cleaning himself and ate. Im still putting vitamin and antibiotic as above, in his water and when he is quiet in the evening I give him some by syringe directly into his month

6. CarolineLenaghan

May 20, 2019
    Hello EggSighted
    Can I get a parasite removal liquid from the vet to give the to Maurice and the hens as a precaution anyway ?

Im will do that test you suggest with a torch. I have some stuff I can use to give the shed a good clean out and some powder that is from some kind of algae that has been recommended kills all sorts of bugs but not the chickens !
    Just waiting for a nice dry day. Flipping chicken shed is very wet with recent storms.

Many thanks for your reassurances and help. We love Maurice I just want him to get those gorgeous irridescent green tail feathers up in the air again !

7. CarolineLenaghan

May 20, 2019
    20190523_122958.jpg

Maurice II before he could stand after about 4 days

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    EggSighted4Life likes this.
  8. CarolineLenaghan

May 20, 2019
    20190523_124735.jpg Next photo is of the indoor space hard to see but its 5.6meters deep by 2.5 wide with an old indoor cage for laying at one end and a roosting rack at far end.

I always put down straw on the ground and its just soil not concrete

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  9. CarolineLenaghan

May 20, 2019
    These are photos of outdoor space 20190523_124600.jpg

10. CarolineLenaghan

May 20, 2019
    20190523_124623.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: