Rooster can't stand up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HenriettaRedHen, May 27, 2010.

1. HenriettaRedHen

HenriettaRedHen New Egg

May 27, 2010
    Hi. I'm new to this so bear with me! I recently aquired a rooster. Yesterday he was fine and today he cannot stand up. I have looked at his feet and he has swellings on the bottom of both feet which bleed when picked. I have bathed them, put on an antiseptic and bandaged them. Can bumblefoot be so severe that he cannot stand on is feet? There is no pus. I have put him on straw in a barn where he cannot perch and so so jump down.
    Hope to hear from someone soon

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

3. HenriettaRedHen

HenriettaRedHen New Egg

May 27, 2010
    Thank you! I can treat bumblefoot but I was really worried it was something else as I have never seen bumblefoot make a chicken not stand up! It is so sudden too bless him.

4. HenriettaRedHen

HenriettaRedHen New Egg

May 27, 2010
    Also! The feet have the typical swellings but when picked only blood comes out - do I need to squeeze more to get the pus out or can that be detrimental? Should I just continue treating it by bathing, treatment and bandages? Thanks

5. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

I really hate doing surgery on my chickens so I would probably seek out that medication recommended by that avian vet as a simple foot soak. I'm sure there's old threads if you search "bumblefoot" that will give you more expert advice on lancing that foot than I can. Good luck. Hope it heals fast.

6. HenriettaRedHen

HenriettaRedHen New Egg

May 27, 2010
    Thanks again! I don't like doing surgery either so will probably try the foot soak! He's eating and drinking fine so is in good health. Thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by