1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster can't walk or stand on its own

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vwf1976, Aug 20, 2013.

1. vwf1976

vwf1976 Out Of The Brooder

My rooster can't stand or walk on its own help?

2. Chicken Feat

Chicken Feat Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Sounds like we have the same problem. I posted this in the Arizona forum

"HELP!

Checked the girls this a.m. and my Polish seems to be having trouble walking. She's not squatting or bowing but just sitting on the ground and when she moves it seems like she's crawling. She hasn't laid an egg in a few days, nothing unusual, but she seems distressed. The other girls are just fine and my makeshift swamp cooler is keeping the temp in the coop cool enough that they don't pant, although she is now. I examined her but found no wounds, bleeding or anything else, she didn't squawk when I picked her up, like if I touched a sore spot.
    Could she be egg bound?
    Is there something I can check for?

I'd hate to lose her, she's a beauty. Any ideas?"

It's been really hot here and it could be heat for you too. The answer I got was...

Now, my guess would the heat. Bring her inside if you can, and put her in a cool, but not cold, bath. Regular tap water temperature is probably fine. Also, make sure to give her water with electrolytes in it, like Pediasure. As she professes some, try a softer food like scrambled eggs or raw yogurt. Both are excellent.

Keep us posted.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/31227/arizona-chickens/39120

Good luck Tx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by