rooster can't walk

dac63

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
cochranville Pa.
I think I posted this in the wrong section before. I have a banty ,silkie mix rooster. He is aout three years old. About a week and a half ago he was fine and then I noticed he walked funny and had some wounds on his comb as if he had fought with the other rooster. At first he walked funny and now he can't walk at all. He is eating and drinking but today I had to dip his beak in the water to get him to start to drink. I had him on sulfamet and now just started terramycin. His poop looks fine. He shows no sign of bumblefoot. He now balances himself with his wings but doesn't seem to be able to move legs or toes. Toes curled. Starting to hold his head on a tilt. I soaked his legs in warm salted water and then put antibiotic ointment on them. The father of this rooster died about three weeks ago. He started out with a limp and in about a week died. I think this is a little odd. He was about 6 years old. I just don't have any idea what is wrong . I have Cochins also and they seem fine. Any help or suggestionswould be appreciated . Donna dac63

Hmmmmm, I dont know what the cause would be...but I would take a fecal to the vet...see if there is something going on internally. Then...I would put him on some polyvisol. Baby vitamins. I sure hope he pulls through. Let us know.

I will try the vitamins and hope for the best. This has been going on for over a week and I am worried he is getting weaker. It is odd as the father of this one started to limp and was gone in a week. He was a really great little guy who never bothered any other chickens. He just stayed with his little silkie hen . And I know she misses him as they were inseperable and now here is this guy and I don't know if they are similar or it is just a fluke. I really appreciate your answer. I love this site as I have used it for several years and everyone is so nice. Thanks a lot. Donna

Back
Top Bottom