Rooster can't walk

Oct 16, 2021
So it started about a week ago now. He acted wobbly and drunk. It progresses to not being able to stand at all but he can still move his legs. I've been concerned about mareks but none of the others seem effected. He's alert. Eating and drinking. But had lost a lot of weight. I'm giving high protein diet and supplementing with vitamins. I've tried to create a walker so he can stand so to speak part of the time to try and get some leg movement but I feel like I'm losing ground. I hate to give up on him but am I just prolonging the inevitable here. Am I making him suffer... looking for guidance and advice

A friend hatched him at home and I took him for my back yard flock girls about 2 months ago. He spent his time either chewing Bubble gum. Ruffin up his chosen girls or yelling at the other neighborhood boys to clarify names. Then suddenly just went down hill fast

Have you ever had an unexplained death or lameness, drooping wings, or other symptoms in a sick bird? Mareks is a possibility, but there could be another cause. Lead in paint chips or in lead shot in the ground, and other toxins can lead to neurological problems. Injuries are even more common. If you should lose him, your state vet could do testing and a necropsy which could help to confirm or rule out Mareks. Make sure that he can reach food and water.

Have you ever had an unexplained death or lameness, drooping wings, or other symptoms in a sick bird? Mareks is a possibility, but there could be another cause. Lead in paint chips or in lead shot in the ground, and other toxins can lead to neurological problems. Injuries are even more common. If you should lose him, your state vet could do testing and a necropsy which could help to confirm or rule out Mareks. Make sure that he can reach food and water.

Thank you. I will keep those in mind. I just don't want to force him to hang on if he's hurting but it's so hard to tell since he seems alert and feeding fine. He doesn't seem to be in distress other than not being able to stay upright on his own so he requires tending for his hygienic needs and that we have determined he absolutely does not approve of!

Back
Top Bottom