Rooster changed his attitude

jtbrown

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Southeastern Ohio
A few weeks ago, I posted about my production red rooster out of the pullet box at TSC. He got his wattles and comb before anyone else in coop, and he was on my short list for pecking my hands when filling water and food. He squared off with me, and I didn't like the way he looked at me and he was skittish, making me nervous. In fact, I wanted to butcher him, but he was so darn skinny, decided to wait a few more weeks. I handled him more, held him down and gently pecked his little head, he was on a short list. Within days, his attitude changed.

He is respectful, stands as I fill feed and water, and waits for me to stand before going to it, greets me in the morning as I turn on fans. I can even pet his comb (not for long, he doesn't have time for such silliness). Then, I noted he is gentle with his girls (his 5 hens are the only ones laying yet, have been for 2 weeks, and they are only 16 weeks old now). I gave them grapes, at first I thought he was being snotty, not eating them, picking up and throwing down, til I saw that he was calling his pullets over to feed them. Then noted, he keeps the bantums from "getting" his girls. He regularly now calls them over to food he finds. Then, there was the cat incident, our orange tabby was curious, he put himself between the cat and his flock and then slowly walked up to confront "Gary the cat." The cat backed off and now they are somewhat buddies, Gary hangs out and watches and the rooster watches but doesn't charge or sound alarm. Then there was a our old lady lab mix that got out basement door with my husband standing there. She wasn't set to eat the hens, but certainly wanted to do much more sniffing of their backside than they thought was reasonable. Red the rooster ran, got himself between the hens and our dog and put wings out shaking his wings and making all kinds of calls and generally causing a ruckus until my husband grabbed the dog collar. Then Red turned around as if to say, "I see you are taking care of this (to my husband)." My husband said, I think that rooster trusts us somehow. Is that possible? Is this little guy learning the ropes so quickly, or is there a stink plan somewhere in his little rooster head (I don't really think so).

I think he had a week of hormones at about 13-14 weeks, he is amazing now, we are in awe. Now, the Light Brahmas are having a little tude this week, they aren't so gentle with the girls, and I think they for sure are going off to Freezer camp, as Red has our respect. Initially didn't want any roosters, but experiences has taught us that it happens, and we love the crowing (far enough from the house, comforting not disturbing). Red's eyes even look different, no longer cowering from us, he really seems to have jumped into his role.

Now, all that being said, I still know he is an animal and he has a job to do with the girls, and possible his tude could change again, but I really like this silly rooster (cockeral).

Really enjoyed your story. Glad that he is working out so good for you.
I have a few roos from pullet bins myself this year, I plan to keep one of them in the flock.
I think they keep things more peaceful in the runs, changes the pecking order and the hens
dont feud as much. I also enjoy the crowing, mine are at a good distance from the house.

I think he had a week of hormones at about 13-14 weeks, he is amazing now, we are in awe.

This is exactly when it's the last chance for a cockerel, the pivotal age. If he changes and matures and decides that the humans are his partners in caring for his hens rather than his enemies at that pivotal point when the hormones really kick in, then he is one of the more intelligent boys, the perfect non-human-aggressive rooster. If he ramps up aggression, changing from biting to rushing to attacking, then he will probably always be untrustworthy.

You got yourself a great one there! I have four of them here, two BRs, a Delaware and a big teddy bear of a blue Orpington. The ones that weren't so smart are now gone. A good rooster like that is a joy to have, as you have found.​

Yup, 13-14 week old roos are just all little evil boys. Argh, I'm ready to throw ALL of them in a stewpot then. Then at 15-16 weeks, bam, the idiot attitude is done and they are roos and good roos. The humans are not going to hurt my hens or me, so I will respect them, and I will protect my ladies and I will be gentle with them. The few favorites may get a saddle, but really, no hen is horribly bald ever.

If the idiot attitue of 13-14 weeks goes to 16 weeks, nope, your name is Tamales. I don't care if he is even halfway nice, there is anything in that behavior that I don't like, nor do I want to see passed on, he goes in a stewpot.

Same goes for hens, one gets snippy and mean, she gets put in the slow cooker.

I have sweet, nice birds and to me, I'd rather have birds who aren't close to SOP but are just plain NICE than birds that are perfect SOP who are snippy or mean.

Back
Top Bottom