Rooster charging when collecting eggs.

M.sue

Songster
12 Years
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Why & what can I do to stop my 18 wk. Bantam Roo from charging my 9 yr. old when she goes in the coop to collect. He has done this twice within the past week to her. He also charged a boy who was tending to them 2 weeks ago when we were out of town. Today when he did it she hit him the basket and closed the door. I was right behind her & was gonna go in but he was right at the door waiting & pecking at it....hence I didn't enter cause I had shorts & flip flops on so I collected them from the back hatch. He's never done this to me before. Is it because he's being protective of the eggs. When he's free ranging he comes up and is friendly, keeps a slight distance but friendly. The wire egg basket she was using today was red and she had orange crocs on....could this be part of the reason.

All things mentioned could be part of his behavior, but the biggest factor is that he is maturing and becoming flock defensive. He needs to be assured quickly that he is only in charge of the hens and that people are above him in the scheme of things. There are many posts on here about attitude adjustments for roosters. Good luck in changing his behavior.

Do some searches and read the abundant threads and blogs on dealing with rooster aggression, including pushing down on their back and neck until they submit (just as they do to a hen), picking them up and carrying around, stalking, and even hanging upside down for a few moments until their perspective changes. It took me several encounters over a couple of weeks to train my rooster at about the same age or a little younger. Not a task for a 9 year old. I had been reading up and was ready for the first sign of aggression. I still pick him up twice a day and pet him.

I am sure that these techniques don't work all the time and on all roosters, but they worked for me and for others who advocate them. A Mother Earth News article also discusses how to not get sucked into rooster games. Seems with maturity/hormones they have a natural need to protect the flock, and to test and ascertain what in their environment they can dominate. Especially everything new and something fast moving like a little kid. Good luck and be sure to educate, supervise, and protect your kids. I would think anybody getting eggs would want to be trained and capable of handling roosters, unless the roos are kept wild and fearful, the other option. I guess some people get really luck and just have gentlemen from the get-go. I had to make mine. But it's possible with a little effort.

I'll bet he'd be delicious after simmering in the crock pot for a few hours.... course you'd need to process him first.
wink.png

I just toss out any roos that bother me or another chicken while I'm in there. Toss them right out the coop door and continue my day.

When he charged my daughter he was originally in the run. They always flock to us when they see us and come into the coop thinking they'll get treats. He wasn't looking for treats that time. When he charged me it was later in the evening, in the run with the gate open. They had been free ranging. I literally had to back up from him and out the gate. I did stand my ground & followed him around with a stick that was in arms reach.
Quote:

Well today was battle free. I was dressed for combat, gloves & boots intact, ready for a battle of the wills. He was as passive as could be. I will continue to go out each time dressed for battle as a precaution because I truly would like to solve this problem (if it persists) and don't want to have make stew out of him. I love to hear him crow!!

Back
Top Bottom