Rooster chased my little girl today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OHMYCHICKIES, Oct 19, 2008.

1. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    My daughter was holding the younger rooster(LB) and my BO rooster (21 weeks) nipped her, didn't see it, so I didn't know if she really caused it.

So when I asked her to see if the hen finished laying her egg, she goes and looks in the coop window and the rooster went to her and nipped her, she screamed and ran and the rooster chased her. I got a stick and while doing that, the dog bit the rooster (not hurting it but protecting my little girl), I chased the rooster and hit it a couple times.

Just wondering if this is normal behavior and how to correct it ASAP, before he becomes roast.

He's been crowing alot today and this is the first time he's done something like this. If this what I should expect, I don't like it.

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I dont think an adult chasing a rooster with a stick is normal behavior unless your a BYC'er [​IMG]

3. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Yep....normal. YOU grab HIM and hold him upside down...YOU are top roo! Then you let your daughter hold him...when he is calm....and while you are watching. EVERY time he does this you must stop him...he will keep it up. NEVER put your back to him...make sure he knows you see him. This is a young roo and he is just showing his roo'ness!! It is natural...but you are top Rooster.

My roo was locked UP in the coop after he kept pecking my Polish....we fixed him. NO problems now...but I do have to remind him from time to time who is BOSS!!

Its time for Rooster Rehab!! LOL [​IMG]

4. OHMYCHICKIES

May 28, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] that's great [​IMG]

cheeptrick - I will definitely do that. My daughter is suppose to be the egg checker and she's now terrified. She wrestles with the dog and she's scared of this little rooster [​IMG] I guess it's training for the rooster and my little girl. [​IMG]

His name is Rooroo but it's gonna be Kentucky if he doesn't change his tune [​IMG]

5. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    Try giving your daughter a cape to wear for a while when checking for eggs so that whenever he sees her she can lift up the sides like wings and suddenly appear much larger and more frightening to him. Try having her do a little "rooster back off dance" that will make him want to back off. Better for him to be afraid of her than for her to be afraid of him. Also better for her to be proactive...that is she should gain some lost confidence and feel like she is in control.

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:You might also look up roosterred's roo corrective behavior / rooster boot camp page. It has some very good suggestions for roo-habilitation! [​IMG]

7. OHMYCHICKIES

May 28, 2008
    Leah-yes I know I'm crazy :

Try giving your daughter a cape to wear for a while when checking for eggs so that whenever he sees her she can lift up the sides like wings and suddenly appear much larger and more frightening to him. Try having her do a little "rooster back off dance" that will make him want to back off. Better for him to be afraid of her than for her to be afraid of him. Also better for her to be proactive...that is she should gain some lost confidence and feel like she is in control.

oh she would love that...she loves to act like a superhero.

crtrlovr - I saw that page and got a couple of ideas also. I think if all the stuff that I learned from reading BYC doesn't help, then only a frying pan will. But I think it should work, lots of ideas and suggestions. Next will be the next roo, when he gets old enough but once I got the main one down, it should be easy.​

8. backintime

backintime Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    My husband was raking leaves today and I asked him to bring some into the coop run, thinking the chickens would enjoy scratching in something new. Well . . . he brought the leaves in a black garbage bag, and when he dumped the leaves out, the bag WHAPPED in the wind and sent all 8 chickens into a terrified frenzy. So if the cape thing loses its effectiveness, tell her to flap a big garbage bag at them! My one and only roo hid in the coop for a hour afterwards, long after the hens all decided to play in the leaves. Good luck!

9. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I figured this thread was going to go exactly the direction its going....

Why not just rehome the rooster and dont have any until your daughter is older and knows how to handle herself around animals? Instead of punishing the pea brained rooster for being exactly what he is..... An animal first and a rooster second?

Dont swing it around, dont hold it upside down, dont sick a dog on him, dont beat him with a stick, dont kick him across the pen..... just rehome him to a place where he can be a rooster!

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

All I had to do when my roo became agressive with me was holler at him and assume an aggresive posture. He has been fine with me since then. I don't agree with the hitting thing, but I do know someone who kicked - picked up the roo with his foot and tossed him, not a full on kick - and that did the trick. I don't hold my birds upside down, they get really frightened when I did that ONCE. Scared me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by