Rooster chases ducks off eggs

My Aracona rooster keeps getting into the duck house and chasing my mallard mama off her eggs! Whats up with that?
P.S. how long do duck eggs take to hatch?
28-30 days, I'd keep the roo away or she may give up sitting, use some kind of fencing and make her own area, or fence in the roo. not always easy to do though since most can scale a fence. Sounds like he's just being a bully.

Thanks, the eggs started to hatch this morning, got 2 ducklings so far. I live in NY the temps are starting to go real low. Should I bring the ducklings in & will the mommies be ok that I took them?

Thanks, the eggs started to hatch this morning, got 2 ducklings so far. I live in NY the temps are starting to go real low. Should I bring the ducklings in & will the mommies be ok that I took them?
Moms will most likely be upset and won't take them back once you take them away, you don't want ducklings and mamas where other flock members can get to them you need to give the ducklings time to get on their feet before letting the flock around them, If you bring them in your the mama.

Thank you for the info, have Mom & babies closed in the coop right now. Will bring babies in tonight when I do ducky bed time. will she still sit on the rest of the eggs until they hatch?
She should continue to sit. I am over protective of my mamas and ducklings and I have a mixed flock of ducks chickens and geese, I just feel it's much better to err on the side of caution than go out and find a dead duckling that has wandered to far form mama and some one has attacked it. Congrats on ducklings look forward to seeing pics.

love.gif
Congrats!! how's mama doing with them?

Both Mamas are doing well, as well as the the daddy's they are a very close group since I lost some of them to foxes. They are 1 goose (Delilah) she watches over everybody,1 Pekin (Louie), 2 Chinese runners (Bob & Mrs. Wong) 1 Mallard (Chocolate) Choc & Bob are the 2 on the nest, which make me think we confused bob & Mrs. Wong, lol

Both Mamas are doing well, as well as the the daddy's they are a very close group since I lost some of them to foxes. They are 1 goose (Delilah) she watches over everybody,1 Pekin (Louie), 2 Chinese runners (Bob & Mrs. Wong) 1 Mallard (Chocolate) Choc & Bob are the 2 on the nest, which make me think we confused bob & Mrs. Wong, lol
Glad to hear everyone is so close so your new ducklings are Mallard mix? who is the daddy? How is everyone this morning?

Back
Top Bottom