Rooster chasing 15 week olds hen

Htis29

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2021
My rooster is pretty aggressive on a good day but he takes care of his girls so have kept him around. We have 4-15 week hens (1-silver laced Wyandotte 1-jersey giant 1-cinnamon Queen and 1-golden comet) that currently live in a seperate small coop. We have started to integrate them with our year old rooster and 3 hens and it has been awful! Our RIR rooster singles out the golden comet everytime and attacks her or chases her like he wants to kill her. I swear she is not a rooster! What can I do??

i think he is trying to “mate“ with the girls because my silkie rooster does the same thing he mounts my girls young too ( but he doesn’t successfully get on them he falls off ) but did you try separating them? or maybe you could put them where they can see each other and also get used to each other at the same time. How aggressive is it?

Are they laying yet, If not expect some eggs from them in a week or so, he is trying to fertilize her eggs but shes not used to the rooster yet

We ate our rooster this spring because of that very behavior. He tried to kill one of my hens by pecking the back of her head. I didn’t know it had happened until I saw her staggering in the yard, covered in blood. At first I thought it was a predator. I put her in a crate to heal, and let her out a couple of weeks later when she indicated that she wanted out. He immediately attacked her - flew at her feet first, pinned her down and started pecking her head again. I cooped her separately with a companion. A couple of weeks later, I saw him chase down another hen, ripping feathers out of her neck, then pin her down violently and mate with her. She got away from him and he did the same thing two more times. The third time, I grabbed him and put him in a coop by himself until DH butchered him. A rooster that attacks his hens is not a good rooster. For clarification, the “rooster” was a cockerel, about 8 months old, the hens are 3 years old. He was raised with them.

When you say he’s aggressive, do you mean towards humans or other chickens?

Back
Top Bottom