Rooster chick with weird leg.

Howland

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 22, 2013
I have about a 1 month old rooster that has a weird leg. We just noticed it a few days ago and I don't have any idea what it the matter and if it's fixable. When he walked it bows/gives out and he is lying down much more today. Thank you!

Last edited:
Your chick looks to have either a slipped tendon or varus/valgus deformity. The hock tendon sometimes will rupture as this worsens with age. If you Google "leg bone deformity in chickens," there will be some food links to read about this problem. Most people treat this with poultry vitamins and minerals, and let the chick live as normal a life as possible. At some point, if they are in pain or not having a good quality of life, then putting them down may be the right thing to do.

Thank you Eggcessive! I will read research "leg bone deformities in chickens". I'm willing to try something but if. I thing works then I'll have him put down.

Can I splint this leg/hock? Grasping at straws, I feel but worth asking. Thank you!

Many people try splinting the legs. There are many posts here on BYC about such leg problems if you search the topic at the top of this page. I would try anything that may have promise, since vets won't usually treat chicks with these problems.

I have an Easter Egger hen with this problem, with her it's a slipped tendon that wasn't caught early enough to fix... we tried, believe me, I had two different vets try to. I first noticed it when she was about a week old, she's a little over a year old now, it's the hen in my profile pic. When she was still very young I'd use vet wrap to wrap it and then medical tape to help hold the wrap on a bit better, I can't say it helped any but who knows.

Long story, short - as long as she's living a happy life as a chicken, I'm fine with having a handicap hen. I did pick out a couple of the most mellow chicks to be her flock and set her up in a "handicap coop" away from the main flock and the rooster. It's lower to the ground, heck on the ground, and there are no roosts in it {we tried a platform type roost but it wasn't good for her to be jumping up and down}. Her gimpy leg is all she knows: she dust bathes, scratches w/her good leg in the dirt, has always eaten and drank just fine. Her buddies certainly know something's wrong with her and will walk away from the tasty goodies for her to have them, they spoil her lol. She's always laid down more than the others.

Here's some pics of her

Wrapped with just the vet wrap.

There was a spurt I'd fold gauze pads to act like a splint of sorts before wrapping.

The platform roost we used for a little while.

Enjoying a dust bath
smile.png

For months and months I haven't had to do anything special for her in any regard. I do keep an eye on her toenails though, with her hock messed up w/the slipped tendon it's caused her toes to go crooked on that foot.

Thank you Ciqala, that gives me some hope. I'm going to take him to my vet tomorrow and see what the vet says, I'm all for trying whatever. I just got done watching him run, play, scratch in the dirt with both his good and bad leg. I don't feel that it is too painful, which is my biggest fear, I don't want him in pain. I will keep everyone updated.

Thank you everyone!!

Last edited:
I was always worried about how she'd do once she was full grown, heavier and laying, but I tell you she does quite alright... no different than any of the others aside from the wobble in her walk. You can give chickens plain aspirin, I believe it's a 1/4 tablet - but double check on that, I haven't had to give it in awhile and I know the dosing is here on BYC if you do a forum search. Please keep in touch Howland, it'd be great comparing notes/sharing how they're doing with each of us with one of these
smile.png
Have you given the little guy a name yet? Our resident gimp is Cleopatra.

That's my biggest concern, Ciqala, how he is going to do in the long run. He is so sweet and such a nice chick. I make it an effort to handle him much more since he is a rooster and I want him to be friendly. Absolutely we can compare notes!!! :). I'm embarrassed to say but my son has named him Gimpy. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom