1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster/Chicken Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by The Zoo, Oct 18, 2009.

1. The Zoo

The Zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    I have a rooster and 3 hens, I know it's not a great combination but that's what I have and I'm not getting any more or rid of any.
    So far the rooster is 29 weeks and gets along and 'services' only the hen he grew up with. When he tries to do anything to my older hens (older by a year) they chase him away. The one time he tried to mount one of the older hens, she shook him off and chased him away while holding on to his wing feathers (wish I had a video camera for that one). He has done a mediocre dance for them and they chase him away. He's definitely 3rd down on the pecking order. He is bigger than the older hens and heavier but runs whenever they chase.

My question - will they ever let him get some action or will he be a one woman man for the rest of everyone's lives? If so I'm going to need to by my hen a saddle because she's going to need it (though so far it hasn't been too bad). I plan on removing his spurs when they come in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by