Rooster choked and nearly died. Hes stabilised now, and advice?

My roo nearly choked abd died jut now, his face is back to being red and he's jut chilling right now however are there any other check I should do to make sure he going to be okay? Like should I give him water or oil via pipet or things about his body like, hold his throat be hard? Any help would be appreciated as I love my boy and I'm very upset and shocked this happened-
Update on my roo (next day) he's doing all the normal rooster things like alarm calls, crowing etc. The only things that seem to be different is 1. His normal clucks sound higher pitched than before and 2. When I gave them some corn earlier he kept stopping for air (but it could've also been bc he loves mixed corn and practically vacuums it up. Idk if his choking caused him any throat problems, ill update if he gets worse

Last edited:
I would imagine the constriction that caused the choking also caused his tissues in his larynx to swell. They should improve over the next week.

I would imagine the constriction that caused the choking also caused his tissues in his larynx to swell. They should improve over the next week.
Thank you for letting me know this :) Is there anything I can do to help him recover better or is it just healed with rest?

They have crumb but the only issue with him is that he gorges it, I think that's partly how he choked in the first place- he doesn't drink much usually however so would you recommend me pipet feeding him water?
You can make the food into more of a wet mash to help prevent that. It'll also makes sure he gets some water into him to.

My roo nearly choked abd died jut now, his face is back to being red and he's jut chilling right now however are there any other check I should do to make sure he going to be okay? Like should I give him water or oil via pipet or things about his body like, hold his throat be hard? Any help would be appreciated as I love my boy and I'm very upset and shocked this happened-
I wanted to come back to this to say what we have done now. We've permanently stopped using collars after my boy nearly passed away due to them, my family kept forcing me to put collars on until I put my foot down and said that enough was enough. I said "as long as he gets to live a happy chicken life with no collar ill be happy, even if he ends up living elsewhere" so we took his collar off and none of my neighbours mind the increased volume. We've had no noise complaints and I live in a VERY urban area so im actually surprised. I even prepared to send him to an animal sanctuary just in case-

So my lesson from this. Just take the collars off, its not worth it at the end of the day and if you really love your boys, don't use them. And this is coming from someone who tried EVERYTHING; cheap collars, expensive collars, elastic, bandage wrap, velcro etc. None worked and all caused issues. My boy is actually more quiet now than he was with the collar on, only crows once in the morning in his box and once in the afternoon now, as opposed to every minute with a collar on. Less and louder is always better than more and muted.

My boy is so much happier without a collar on. I will never EVER put one on again. I hope my story inspires others to ditch the collars- its really just not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom