Rooster clucks like a chicken!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jess5254, Aug 11, 2010.

1. jess5254

jess5254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Maine
    I ordered 5 RIR this past spring and one is a rooster. I have been waiting for him to crow and all he does is cluck like the chickens. Is this ok or is he sick? [​IMG]

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes they need to be taught/an example... my first roos learned how to crow from a wild pheasant down at the creek... sounded just like pheasants... maybe YOU can go out every dawn and crow for him! [​IMG]

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Mine got inspiration from the car engine turning over.....horrible whirring and groaning noises for the first few months

Sandie

4. Jessica1228

Jessica1228 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Mine barks like our St. Bernard. No joke. If he is the only roo you may have to get out there (or make the kids:) and walk around crowing and flaping your wings. We had 5 in our last hatch. I didn't want their new owners to think somthing was wrong so that's what we did. And the kids loved it!

5. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

My rooster is the only one among 29 hens. I got him as a day old chick in the pullet order. There is no other rooster within earshot, but he started crowing at 8 weeks. He was a little squeaky at first, while he was learning, but now he is 18 weeks and sounds like a classic rooster. He's never heard another rooster crow.

He is a beautiful black Austrolorp and I am so glad to have him! The older hens haven't really accepted him yet, but the pullets his age all toe the line for him.

Of course he's a rapist........

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  6. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    My black Ameraucana escaped an Amish butcher by cackling like a hen. The breed was unfamiliar to him, so he looked it over and decided I had accidentally sent a pullet and he sent Robin back!

We do not mind, Robin has been a lot of fun. He now crows with the Ameraucana wheeze at the end.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    jess5354. Dont worry, he'll start crowing when he's good and ready. Then when he hears himself crow....he'll never stop crowing, then you'll be sick of his crowing!

8. jess5254

jess5254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Maine
    Thank God he is not the only one!! The kids go around making goat noises making a rooster noise should be no problem.[​IMG]

9. Sama_Lama

Sama_Lama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2010
    Better than the alternative. My Silkie hen turned out to be a Silkie rooster and although he was only in full "rooster mode" for a week before I placed him, now all my hens crow like a rooster... I am not amused!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by