Rooster/Cockerel Behaviour???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zeb1432, Jan 14, 2014.

1. zeb1432

zeb1432 New Egg

Jan 14, 2014
    Question??
    Why does a Cockerel/Rooster go into a corner and start clucking with his head to the ground????
    Any clues????please.
    Thanks,
    Zeb..

2. jeepgirl13

jeepgirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Arizona
    Sounds like he is trying to lure ladies away from the rest of the flock with the promise of food. Roosters pick up bits of food and drop them repeatedly while making small clucking sounds. They are telling the hens "hey, I have something tasty for you".

Some roosters, like the one I will be processing this weekend, LIE. They will do this, (its called 'tidbitting'), when they have no food, and when a particularly gullible hen goes to see what he has, he will very roughly grab her to mate. It ends up with hens missing feathers and looking horrible.

The behavior you describe is a normal rooster behavior.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    A good rooster finds food for his hens and calls them over to it by doing that. If there is food there, that is good behavior and a sign of a good rooster. If food is not there, yes it is usually an ambush, almost always by an immature cockerel that the hens don’t respect. Many hens quickly learn he is just being an immature brat and he loses even more respect, but some are gullible.

4. zeb1432

zeb1432 New Egg

Jan 14, 2014
    Thank you very much for the replies. I did wonder if that was his ploy.
    Regards....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by