1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Cogburn acting weird

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NeeCee51, Aug 8, 2014.

1. NeeCee51

NeeCee51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    I went on vacation for a week and when I got back my rooster came up to me and sort of stepped sideways and made a clucking sound I had never heard before. I am wondering if he is trying to challenge me or something along that line. I watched him from my kitchen window and the only time he does that is when I go out and talk to him. Both roosters are being meaner to the hens than before. I wonder if they can sense the hens are getting close to laying eggs? I'm new to this so please bear with me. Thanks

2. Aronia

Aronia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    He probably just misses you.

Mine do that if I am gone for a while.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    He is challenging you.

Sounds like you have a flock of same age birds, with 2 cockerels, about 6 months old?
    They are all reaching sexual maturity, hormones are flowing and dominance disputes are happening.

2 cockerels can be a problem as they are competing with each other, and is why they are hard on the pullets.
    I went thru this in my junior flock this spring, got rid of 2 of 3 cockerels and the remaining cockerel calmed right down.
    I'd suggest getting rid of one of them, or both if you don't really have a need for a rooster in the flock and especially if you have small children.

4. NeeCee51

NeeCee51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    Yes I do have two roosters and three hens the same age. Came from the same bunch. I went and bought three more hens so they wouldn't be so hard on the hens. Unfortunately the new hens are younger than the older ones and have not wanted to have anything to do with the older ones. When I first got the new ones the older ones would pick on them so I had to keep an eye out so they would hurt them too bad. They are smaller.. I will think about getting rid of one of the roosters. The reason I got more hens was so they would each have more ladies. Like I said earlier....I am very new at this..thanks for your help.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop

This is undesirable behavior....and spells trouble ahead.
    Even with your additional females you still have a gender balance issue in your flock - one common guideline is to have at least 10 hens for each rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by