1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Collar?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by elitemittens, Mar 17, 2016.

1. elitemittens

elitemittens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2013
    Hello! I have ordered a White Polish rooster along with some hens from Murray Mcmurray hatchery! Well, theres some city slickers complaining about WILD ducks and geese on OUR property. The issue they have is they can hear them so its a problem apparently. Which is pretty pathetic if you ask me... Our neighbors have told us they complain about everything that has to do with farm life, even though that this is a farm town. I'm certain there will be a problem with my rooster crowing at some point. So have any of you guys used rooster collars? I saw one at My Pet Chicken and you can order it with a bowtie! Do they actually work? Are they safe? Thank you!!

2. BoomChickaPop

BoomChickaPop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    I tried them once and they only silenced their crow a little bit. I wasn't very pleased, but I didn't use it that long. When you use it on the roo for more than a week you may see results
    Sorry if I was no help

BCP

3. elitemittens

elitemittens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2013
    Has anyone ever used a sock and had good results? I've seen a few people post about using socks but never really saw how well they worked...

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

I have read a few posts from people who have lost roosters due to choking and a close friend of mine nearly lost her BCM rooster also during the ‘tweaking’ stage.

Even with the collar 'just right' she still had to put him in his 'man cave' every night because she could still hear him and therefore, so could the neighbours. However, it worked great on that particular roosters son.

It can come down to each individual rooster as to whether it works or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by