Rooster comb and wattles turning black, trouble breathing, lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by memawdarla, Nov 12, 2011.

1. memawdarla

memawdarla Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2011
    Brewster is 7 months old Dominque rooster, got him at 7 weeks. Mid october just finally started crowing. he is in pen with 2 Dom hens and a Favorelle. This morning we noticed the top of his comb and wattles are turning black. Then all of a sudden him demeanor changed and he became docile (he never is this way) just stood there while my husband picked him up. well, we thought he might just be having a bad day. My husband just went to check on him and he can't hold up his head, is laying on his side and has clear liquid coming from his mouth. what is going on? In the other chicken pen our 9 month old RIR hen started limping two days ago, did not see any injury or feel anything broken, not sure if this is related to Brewster.

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    This sounds serious.... Check your roosters crop to see if it's sour - that could cause this problems .... or eating mildenmed of bad feed..... Possibly also Markeks in the other birds or a vitam deficinciey.... You could start them on baby vitamins and then put in their mouth under the tongue so as not to asperate

3. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It could be a lot of things, but I'd suspect heart or lungs from the black which is a sign he's not getting enough oxygen. I'm sorry.

The limping hen could be a degenerative joint disease or an infection in the joint, besides injury, of course. If she is a large bird and jumps off a high roost, it could be a strain or sprain of some sort. Time and rest might resolve this.

4. memawdarla

Nov 12, 2011
    Brewster just died. I am heart broken. But I found a Lab "Georgia Poultry Lab about 7 miles from us. I was thinking I would give them a call Monday because if it is contagious, we have other chickens. This was just so sudden. He was crowing this morning and now he is gone! I think with Greta, the RIR, that maybe she just bruised leg. We put her in a smaller cage inside chicken pen so maybe she can rest her leg.

5. tsmith1499

tsmith1499 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    Mount Airy, MD.
    Sorry to hear about your Roo [​IMG] . I have nothing to suggest, just hoping for the best for the rest of your flock.

6. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Im so sorry. At least it was quick and he didn't suffer too long. I know how hard it is to know that the one you lost was thriving just a few hours ago. He is in a better place now.
    I hope Greta gets better! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  7. memawdarla

Nov 12, 2011
    Thanks y'all. I just hope the Poultry Lab can find out what happened. Also hoping it's not very expensive. Will keep good eye on the rest til Monday. I just want to cry. We have had Brewster since he was 7 weeks old and watched him grow into a BEAUTIFUL bird. Loved to hear him crow. Also hope it is not contagious.

8. MsMoerose

MsMoerose Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2011
    I'm so sorry.

9. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I agree with flockwatcher; it seems like it was a respritory (sp?) thing. Maybe he inhaled something? How long was he suffering?

10. memawdarla

Nov 12, 2011
    ChickenPeep, he was fine yesterday, heard him crow before dawn this morning. When we went out to feed we noticed his comb and wattles were turning black (on tips of comb). And then it was like a switch was thrown and he just stood there and let my husband pick him up. He NEVER does that, always runs from us. Then this evening he just laid there and couldn't even hold up his head. About an hour after that he was gone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by