1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Comb bleeding from frost bite I think???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by johnmayersquare, Dec 20, 2008.

1. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    What do I do??? It has been VERY cold here in Western Washington for the last week and his comb is bleeding......is there something I can do to clean it/protect it from further damage??? Thanks!

2. ChickLuver

ChickLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Walton, New York
    Clean with some peroxide and put neosporin. In the morning put vasaline. If it is frostbite it will protect it somewhat. Good Luck

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Try putting neosporin on it. I've be using Udder Balm to try a prevent that from happening to my roooster. Good luck.

4. johnmayersquare

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    Quote:Can I use the neosporin with the pain reliever in it??? Or is that bad for them?

5. ChickLuver

ChickLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Walton, New York
    That would be fine to use.

6. johnmayersquare

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    Poor guy..........I feel so badly for him! I did the best I could with the neosporin, he wasn't super thrilled about it [​IMG] . It was bleeding so much that it got blood all over his feather around his neck and face area ;( . Thanks for the help! [​IMG]

7. Hattie the Hen

Hattie the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Clean it up using just warm water then dry as well as you can. Then I would squirt on a goodly amount of Aloe Vera Gelly ( I always use Forever Living Products which is a US which a vet told me about; he had huge successes with it on otherwise hopeless cases of open wounds and sores). You will have to repeat this every hour 4 or 5 times and it will start to heal almost in front of your eyes. It's amazing stuff! Thet do a line of the vetinary products but I tend to use the human stuff because thats what i have at home. If you got in touch with them I'm sure they would send infomation. I definitely wouldn't let him out till he's well scabbed up and then cover the comb with more aloe gel and a slather of Vaseline. The Andalusian cocks I used to keep were very prone to frostbite even here in the southern counties of England.

8. Hattie the Hen

Hattie the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

9. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    you need to stop the bleeding first ! Press flour on it as thick as you can it will get the bleeding to stop otherwise the blood will freeze and make it worse.

10. johnmayersquare

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    Thanks all for the advice, but after putting the neosporin on it, I put him back out in the coop and this morning when I went to check on him, he had died ;( I am so bummed about it. Can a frozen/bleeding comb really make them die that quickly or do you think it could have been something else???? Thanks again for all the support! I really appreciate it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by