Rooster comb turning black, crusty spot...help!

GoldenCometKeeper

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2017
Central Louisiana
My nearly 1 year old Rhode Island Red/New Hampshire Red rooster, Pierce, is having another issue. We got past the frostbite this past winter, and its been between 40-85 degrees here this whole month.

I saw today that aside from a few little tiny black dots on his comb, he now has a large black spot with white tips towards the back of his comb. He has a few smaller places like that towards the front of his comb.

Also, for the last couple weeks he has had this crusty yellow spot on one side of his comb, it looks crusty on the outside, but in the middle it looks like the "scab" fell off and its a paler red in that area than the normal redness of his comb.

I don't know what is going on and would appreciate some advice from more experienced chicken people.

My nearly 1 year old Rhode Island Red/New Hampshire Red rooster, Pierce, is having another issue. We got past the frostbite this past winter, and its been between 40-85 degrees here this whole month.

I saw today that aside from a few little tiny black dots on his comb, he now has a large black spot with white tips towards the back of his comb. He has a few smaller places like that towards the front of his comb.

Also, for the last couple weeks he has had this crusty yellow spot on one side of his comb, it looks crusty on the outside, but in the middle it looks like the "scab" fell off and its a paler red in that area than the normal redness of his comb.

I don't know what is going on and would appreciate some advice from more experienced chicken people.
Could you post pictures? As long as this isn't oozing or producing an odor I would let it be. But I would need to look at this to be certain. My boys went thru the frost bite during our winter and they to had the black and white tips as well as yellow crust. After a few months this eventually sloughed off and did not harm them. Once the black fell off it did leave a spot of pale red that eventually changed to same color as the rest of the comb. Slight swelling I heard is normal as well. As long as there's no signs of infection I would leave it alone. It does hurt them and doesn't need to be touched.

Pierce 4 19 18.JPG Pierce two 4 19 18.jpg

I don't think this is anything to worry about. Looks similar to how my boys frost bite was back in January. They have their bright red Combs and wattles back now. I would just keep an eye on it for infection but for the most part it should heal itself in a few weeks or months. I've heard you can apply antibiotic ointment to the areas but touching causes pain so I never did that with mine. If he's acting normally and eating fine then I would let it be. By the looks of it it should heal nicely and when the black does fall it will leave pale red places that will eventually become more matching in color with the rest of the area.

When he had the frostbite, it was small and healed up pretty quickly. He kept his comb in tact and everything. I am hoping this heals up and isn't something very serious because I have a man that wants to buy this rooster within the next few weeks.

He's eating and behaving normally, doesn't have most of the symptoms I've read appear with fowl pox, just the comb spots.

When we had a roo, we had occasional problems with black tips, no sores on the comb however. and this only happened when it was really hot here. Starting sprinkling a part of their run area when it was really hot and that seemed to help, (just a small part of the run was lightly sprinkled with sprinkler, kind of like a mister )

Back
Top Bottom