Rooster comb

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AROcrowley, Feb 2, 2017.

1. AROcrowley

AROcrowley Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2015
    East Bridgewater
    [​IMG]
    Is it normal for a roosters comb to have those black marks? He is healthy (as far as I know)

2. Michele G

Michele G New Egg

Jul 8, 2015
    Nederland, TX
    Was he exposed to freezing temps for a long period of time (touch of frost bite) or are you experiencing some mosquitoes in the area where you live (dry pox)?

If it is dry pox (from mosquitoes) he will clear up in a couple of weeks and only will get dry pox once.

If it is a little frost bite, that might be permanent damage to the comb and you should check with a veterinarian for treatment.

3. AROcrowley

AROcrowley Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2015
    East Bridgewater
    Thanks. No mosquitos. Def maybe frost bite. I saw pics online and was afraid of that. I just went out and found the vents along the soffits on the coop clogged with dirt and straw. There is moisture on the ceiling but not much. It has been a pretty mild winter but a few cold days with wind etc. thanks for the feedback. Never had a problem before , but this is my first rooster and he is twice the size of the hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by