1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rooster comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by micloscrib, Feb 24, 2009.

1. micloscrib

micloscrib Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Iowa
    my roosters comb is white what do i do.
    is it frostbite.
    oh can u please tell me what kind the rooster and chicken is.
    and do u know if they will mate. thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    That looks like a bad case of frostbite. If he were mine I would dub his comb halfway. Then keep him where it is warm and give lots of good food like chicken feed, egg yolk cooked, a little meat and some vitamins.

Dont even know if he would be fertile after that injury. It looks like he is supposed to be a millie fleur D'Uccle.

The hens beak has been trimmed. Looks like they need some good dry bedding, warmth and food in a deep dish and fresh water.

ETA: he looks like he is in pain. Dissolve a piece(1/4) of aspirin in the water too.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I would dub his comb all the way like you would on a game roo. That way you wouldnt have to worry about it happening to him again. He will be back to normal soon. [​IMG]

4. micloscrib

Feb 24, 2009
    Iowa
    how do i cut his comb off

5. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:You can use a razor blade, or a pair of sharp siccors. just cut right above his head. do it as quickly as possible, and then leave him alone and he will quit bleeding in 15 to 20 minutes.
    ETA: http://gamefowl-news.livejournal.com/5794.html

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2009
  6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    yeah all the way down is better he looks bad. Use sharp scissors, put a little rubbing alcohol on the scissors and the comb. Cut it off and have a bowl of ice cubes and water right there. Stick his head in the bowl of ice water ONLY for a second, then put him in a clean cage and give food and water. he will be fine.

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    or just hold a piece of ice on his (what was comb) for a few seconds and then thats it.

8. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Quote:Out of curiosity, because this is the first time I have heard this...... what is the relationship between fertility and frostbit combs?

9. micloscrib

Feb 24, 2009
    Iowa
    should i wait till it gets warm outside cuz i dont want a rooster in my house. he dont like me yet
    would it hurt if i wait

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:How coldis it at your place? He is in no shape to be outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by