Rooster coming when called?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Moxiechick, May 9, 2011.

1. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    We got a rooster last month, so that my girls would be protected while free ranging. I talk to my birds all the time, frequently addressing them by name.

I've let them out a couple of times now. At one point each time, "Merlin" decided to wander over to the neighbors to check on their hens. Both times I called out "Merlin... what are you doing over there? Come back here and tend to your own girls!" (Or a variation to that effect!) Each time, he has stopped in his tracks, given me a thoughtful look for a moment, then he comes racing back at full speed! [​IMG] I tell him what a good boy he is, and he seems pleased with himself. [​IMG]

Is this normal rooster behavior? I love this roo. He's good with the girls, peaceful to people and seems to have a good grasp of the English language! Seriously, the looks he gives sometimes and the noises he makes... [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  2. stellacat

stellacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I have know idea but that is awesome! I would love to have a rooster like that! What breed is he?

3. Moxiechick

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    He's an EE. I took some pics recently. I'll try to get them uploaded tomorrow. He's a picture from when he was still being quarantined. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Be glad he listens. Maybe he thinks he's working it for you too. Never know. He is a rooster.

5. RcknSAHM

RcknSAHM Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    All of my hens coming running when they hear me approaching and if my youngest isnt out right away she does come out as soon as i call her name.

6. Moxiechick

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    Quote:Lol! The hens come running when they hear me if they are in the run. So far, most of them seem to go selectively deaf when free ranging. [​IMG]

7. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Your roo looks just like ours. He comes pretty quick too.

And a handful of grain for him and to share with his ladies encourages his behavior

And that is a good thing to have too!

8. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    duplicate

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My dominant Roo, Carl (an EE) will come when I call him, but I think that's more timing on my part than obedience on his. [​IMG]

I think your boy is going to be a great Flock Master for you.

10. Hoosierchickens

Hoosierchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2011
    Cloverdale, IN
    I have a Speckled Sussex roo that is the friendliest chicken in my flock. He loves to be held by my kids and will talk your ear off. When you get a good roo it's great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by