Rooster Complaint. ...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Avyron, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Avyron

Avyron Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    About a week ago, I received a letter from the Council notifying me that there had been a complaint about my rooster crowing. It didn't specify time of day but did hint with some choice words about "cockerels crowing at dawn" but they wont give me any specifics. I've had Napoleon for over a year crowing abd never had any issue but we have had new neighbours recently. My issue is he doesnt crow at night as hes in a darkened box (save once or twice when neighbours had loud late night parties) and I dont let him out until 9am. He usually crows maybe ten times at 9.30 then is either silent all day or on a noisy day will have up to four sessions of ten crows and stopping at 1pm... he is fairly loud (loudest crows can hit 80DB) but i dont think this is an excessive amount of daytime crowing to warrant a complaint? The council haven't investigated but they will if there are more complaints. Just wondering if anyone has had this? I am in the UK

1 person likes this.
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Well, I'm a long way from the UK, however, I wonder if you can find the neighbor who has lodged the complaint and give them a peace offering....like maybe some eggs if you raise hens. Seems like the neighbor's "hearing" isn't quite as sharp if you kick them a dozen now and again?? Just a thought. [​IMG]

3. Avyron

Jul 27, 2014
    I thought that but I'm not entirely sure on who did it :/ just can't see how they can moan... a few houses down they have dogs barking non stop at all hours.. neighbors at the back using tools in the night... yet they have an issue with him

4. twinsmom6

twinsmom6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2016
    Southern Arizona
    I would recommend trying to find out who is complaining.. you can't be too upset they may be a daytime sleeper/night shift worker.. but talking to the person maybe you can come up with a solution.. ear plugs while sleeping or share a chicken dinner with him/her (kidding)

I just think talking to them might help discover what the real issue is.. maybe it is solvable.. if there are no "rules" about roosters in your area..
    I would not mind waking up to that sound.. but then again...

1 person likes this.
  5. Avyron

Jul 27, 2014
    I think part of the reason I'm annoyed is that he crows a max of four times (about ten or so crows and it lasts maybe 3min tops) over a four hour period. Usually he only does it once or twice though... and at the same time there are people working on motorbikes, running machinery etc all of which are louder. I suspect it's the new next door neighbours or the back ones (who wanted to buy part of our land but I said no) but both work 9-5 jobs so wouldn't even be in to hear him except weekend. I've asked both but they've both denied it... plus every other neighbour within hearing distance

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Are you allowed to have roosters where you live?

7. Avyron

Jul 27, 2014
    Yup there's no rules or regulation on the keeping of roosters or hens (unless you have over 50)

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    So you should be OK, then. It's frustrating, though, when people complain first rather than trying to work things out.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Then it boils down to an excessive noise complaint, no matter the source of the noise...
    .........not much you can do but hope the council takes everything into consideration.
    ..and the complainant is not too insistent, if they are the council will have to enforce their rules.

How did you measure the 80db? Measure other things as a defense/justification....if you can document the time of day, if that's specified in the 'rules'.
    Sorry you're having troubles.

10. raggy907

raggy907 New Egg

Jan 7, 2016
    Alaska
    Have you considered trying a "no-crow" collar?
    I have one on our 5mo old rooster and it seems to help but then he's still young and I have no experience w roosters.
    Rich in Alaska

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by