rooster continuously clearing throat

chickchickie

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 20, 2015
Hi all -

I made a post about this in the past and ultimately attributed the symptoms to a clogged nare but the nare has since been unclogged and the symptoms have persisted so I am looking for new advice.

I have an 8 year old roo who seems to be gaping/yawning/clearing throat a lot. He has been doing this for a while (I consciously flagged it as a potential problem about 6 months ago but it could possibly have gone on for much longer and I just did not notice it) but between when I first noticed him doing it and now, I have not noticed the gaping getting any worse or better. Most of his gaping happens when he is relaxed and when this happens, he will gape repeatedly several times in a row. His breathing seems a little loud when I listen to it (it is audible) but I do not know if it is necessarily louder than is normal for a rooster of his size and age. Other than that, there has been nothing out of the normal. He is eating and moving around normally. He lives with one hen of the same age and she has not shown any of these symptoms (I wondered if my roo had gapeworm at first but if he did, the rest of the flock should be showing symptoms as well, right?). I have included a video clip of his gaping behavior.

Should I be concerned about this behavior? Is this some type of slow developing respiratory problem, since he is getting on the older side now? Anyone having experienced anything similar, or have thoughts, I'd love to hear your advice. Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom