rooster coop maybe?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by skunknchatter, Feb 26, 2014.

1. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    I'm up to 3 roosters now. I love them all and they are all well behaved. However, 3 is a bit much for 6 hens. I was thinking of putting up a small "rooster coop" and rotating the boys one at a time. Thoughts?

2. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    That's slot of moving the roosters and that is a lot of roosters for them hens. You could stress the hens out. And also do they all get along ? But you want to make a coop and keep 2 roosters in there and switch one out with the hens ?? I feel like they won't get used to it. But idk everyone can do something different so if try it

3. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    Right now everyone is living together happily. But I'm afraid once spring hits the hens won't be so happy. 2 if the roosters have been together along with all the hens for 2 years. The other rooster was introduced 6 months ago with no problems. He was a late hatch which we thought was a hen. If it's too stressful I would leave my oldest BO roo In with the ladies and just leave the other two roos live together.

4. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Yeah that might be better I'm having the same problem but my 2 rooster don't get along at all they almost killed eachother today I need to get rid of him

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I wouldn't plan to rotate them, I'd think it would cause unnecessary stress on everyone involved. Build a bachelor pad, and put 2 or 3 roosters there, and leave them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by