Rooster Coop/Two flocks in one coop

RileyB

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 7, 2012
NH
Of my 11 chickens and two ducks, I am now almost positive that I have 4 roosters and one drake. I may also have a 5th possible rooster. Obviously I did not luck out in this situation. :)
Originally I was planning to separate the three older birds (they're only older by one month) as they keep to themselves (one rooster, two pullets), while the other 10 stick together. I temporarily housed all 13 together in a large coop and run while I was getting the other coop ready for the three. However, in the meantime I've begun to realize just how many roosters I most likely have. Since the three older birds and 10 youngers birds have been successfully living together now for weeks (they all free range during the day...it's like having two separate free ranging flocks that sleep in the same coop and just ignore one another) I am thinking that instead of my original plans I will put the roosters in the second coop and keep the pullets (and one or two rooster(s)) in the original coop. Here's where I have questions:

1) I have read many places that a "bachelor pad" for roosters is successful without hens. However, I do worry that once hormones kick in the roos may not get along even without hens. Does anyone have experience with this being successful or unsuccessful?

2) Is it possible to keep two separate flocks together in the same coop once they've reached maturity? Will the two groups just continue to ignore one another? (I really don't want to separate the dominant roo from the younger group or the older roo from his two girls...they are both great roosters and take great care of their girls...)

3) Will the bachelor pad roos and "normal" coop flock be able to free range at the same time, or will I need to alternate days?

Thanks!

1) A bachelor coop works wonderfully. I have had 6 roos housed successfully together for almost a year. There are squabbles but no real fighting.

2) Once you remove the extra roos, you can keep everyone else together. MIne are over a year old now and they mix and mingle.

3) You will not be able to free range the bachelor pad roos with the others. There will be too much fighting between the dominant roo and the others. The hens would be subject to a lot of attacks also. I just built a large covered run and my bachelors stay in there. I used a grape vine for shading and made sure that it was big enough that they have plenty of room to spread out.

Good luck with your flocks...I hope your plans work out as well for you as mine has!

Back
Top Bottom