Rooster (copper Maran) is shakey and today was panting??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by phantomml, May 12, 2011.

1. phantomml

phantomml Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    New Waterford
    My Copper maran has feathers legs, and for the 3 weeks I have owned him, he seems to have shakey legs, he is the same size as the hens, but he has been with us three weeks and the shaking like he is scared hasn't gone completely away. he is about 3 months old. he seems to have strong legs when I pick him up and when I am not watching him. Today it was hot and humid and he and the 4 hens he is with were panting, but not one of the other breeds seemed to be as hot. I put a fan near them and until after it rained they panted. Is that a worry?

2. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    I was talking to a breeder who has had three FBCM Roos go shaky and fall down. They can't seem to stand up without falling over. One is fine now (not using it for breeding) but the other two did not recover and had to be euthanized with a Axe.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Panting is how they cool off ,just like a dog does. but the shaking I don't know about unless the hens are picking on him, and maybe thats why he is shaking. Make sure they have plenty of cool fresh water and shade when it's hot out.

4. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    My first guess would be dehydration...but the story about those other 4 makes me wonder if something is wrong with the breed.
    I don't know much about them other than my Mom wants one because of the dark eggs...
    Are they heat resistant? Maybe it's too warm where you are? I dunno....just throwing stuff out there.
    I hope someone can help you.
    Poor fella<3

5. phantomml

phantomml Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    New Waterford
    I had them in the shade, next to the others that seemed to be fine (Americana, Jersey Giants, Buff Orpingtons) Maybe they hate humidity? The shakey legs does concern me, and it does make me wonder why these are unheard of in these parts in Ohio, it was only 78 when they were panting. Humidity was probably about 75 or so too though. I was sweating doing light work. I figured that was why they were panting but when the others weren't I didn't know what to think! Thanks for some help! I hope I figure out why he is shakey! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by