Rooster coughing? Behavior or sick?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stina3246, Sep 7, 2010.

1. stina3246

stina3246 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    I have had birds of all sorts since I was little and NEVER heard one cough. I've heard plenty of sneezing but my new Cochin Goldlaced Banty Rooster makes a noise like a cough. He seems fine, healthy. Eating, mating, clucking, crowing flapping, strutting. His crow is nice and loud and robust (for a banty) but he also makes this noise that sounds like someone with bronchitis coughing. He seems to do it mostly when I am putting them up for the night. Their coop is not finished so every night I pick them all up and put them in a secure hutch. The hens go in a little travel box but I carry the rooster and he will often cough. I don't know if anyone has ever heard anything like this.

2. stina3246

stina3246 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    Anyone? Any ideas?

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Could be worms? I've heard others say that the gape worm can cause coughing in a chicken. Otherwise, if he has no evidence of an upper respiratory infection, I would just watch him for further symptoms.

4. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    It's too hard to tell without actually hearing it myself, but it's probably a behavior thing. Chickens make a lot of strange sounds. [​IMG]
    Maybe you could upload a video of it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by