1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Couldn't Crow (gasping To Breath) Now Hen (please Read)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DAKOTAFARM, Sep 16, 2011.

1. DAKOTAFARM

DAKOTAFARM New Egg

Jan 28, 2010
    I Had A Rooster That Was Not Really Crowing And Gasp Or Hard Breaths Mouth Wide Open Ect. Took Him Away From The Flock And Started Him On Meds ( That Go Into The Water ) Wormed Him Started Looking Good Turned Him Out And He Died That Day Now My Hen Is Not Looking Good I Could See It In Her Eyes . Moved Her Out And Trying Meds Again . Now Mind You These Chickens Are Old I'm Guessing About 5 -6 Years Old Which I Know They Live Along Time But I'm Sure The Age Is Not Helping . Anybody Know What I'm Up Against Or Has It Ever Happen To Them And What Did You Do About It ? Thanks For All Your Help

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Cheek her for Gapeworm?

3. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I had similar problem with hen, treated for gape worms. Next day no change, immediately started treatment with Oxine, she dies next day. I believe if I had noticed the problem sooner I may have been able to save her.
    Look down her throat with a flashlight, you will be able to see the gape worms (if it is worms), they are about the size of horse hairs and can get to be an inch long.

good luck with her.

4. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    florida lee wrote:
    Rooster Couldn't Crow (gasping To Breath) Now Hen (please Read)I had similar problem with hen, treated for gape worms. Next day no change, immediately started treatment with Oxine, she dies next day. I believe if I had noticed the problem sooner I may have been able to save her.
    Look down her throat with a flashlight, you will be able to see the gape worms (if it is worms), they are about the size of horse hairs and can get to be an inch long.

good luck with her.

so sorry about your hen. Did you ever find out what she had? Did she have Gapeworm?​

5. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    No she did not have worms, I believe she had a fungal infection, that seems to be going around because of the weather. I was too late getting her on treatment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by