Rooster covering hens but no eggs

RBOutdoors

Songster
10 Years
Sep 4, 2009
So we have 5 young hens (born mid July) and two roosters. Our roosters have started covering some of our girls but we still don't have eggs. Is that normal or should we be getting eggs? I know it is winter but still should get some eggs right?

My chickens start laying when they are about 8 months old, (you don't need a rooster for that), and even if a rooster is breeding them, it doesn't mean they are laying eggs... I think that was your question??

Seems like a lot of roo for five girls!

x2

You might want to separate at least one of the roosters from the pullets, or they could get over-mated and stressed/hurt. When they lay eggs can depend on how much light there is, how old they are, the breed, the individual, and stress. If chickens are stressed, they may not lay.

I have a rooster that has been mating a pullet for months with no eggs. The rooster will mate any hen he can catch. I had a pullet that started squatting at 12 weeks old. She is now 25 weeks and still no eggs.

It will happen in time. Trust me, it is worth it in the end!

We had 15 hens to start with and that is why we have two roo's. I have been told by others that the boss rooster won't let the other rooster breed so it doesn't really matter how many you have(to a point).

Also we got our first egg today!!!!! How fun is that!!

Actually the other roo probably is mating your hens - at least some of them. We have two roos that free range with their flock. One is in charge and more active but the other roo is also mating the hens. The only time I've heard of a roo not mating in a flock is if he has been completely pushed out of the flock and beat up continually by the head roo.

Congrats on your first egg!

From the original post it sounds like you think you won't get eggs without the rooster. You can remove all roosters and you'll still get eggs. They'll start laying when they start, some just take longer than others. 2 roosters for 5 hens is too many. You could have them delay laying because of the stress of having the boys around.

Back
Top Bottom