Rooster crow sounds funny?

jmacc2044

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2021
Hello all,
New to raising chickens. We got a rooster by accident in our batch of hens. He’s about 13 weeks old. He started crowing about a month ago, or so. In the last week or so, his crow started changing a bit and he has a sort of whine at the end of it. My wife and I are in the medical field and we can’t help but think it sounds a little like a wheeze or stridor. Could he be sick? Or just part of maturing? Is this normal for a growing rooster? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DA7DC5DC-F6CD-4D1B-8780-6ABF9BD2827B.jpeg
    DA7DC5DC-F6CD-4D1B-8780-6ABF9BD2827B.jpeg
    937.3 KB · Views: 68
If you can get a video, that would be really helpful. You have to post it to something like Youtube or Vimeo, and then post the link here.
It's natural for cockerel's crows to change as they get better at actually controlling the sound.
A little wheeze at the end is not necessarily abnormal either. My EE rooster wheezes a little at the end too sometimes. I think it happens when he lets out a lot of air (for an especially loud or long crow), and then sucks in a lot of air quickly.

His eyes are bright and no mucus. He seems very healthy otherwise, to me.
Here’s the video link, let me know what you all think.
Thanks

A little wheeze at the end is not necessarily abnormal either. My EE rooster wheezes a little at the end too sometimes. I think it happens when he lets out a lot of air (for an especially loud or long crow), and then sucks in a lot of air quickly.
My roo does something very similar. As he's aged, the sound has changed. It's louder, lower in pitch, and a bit longer. I was worried at first, but like HappyClucker7 says, I think it's just his inhaling at the end.

Back
Top Bottom