Rooster crow -- will it get louder with age?

wingnut1

Crazy Bird Lady
11 Years
Apr 21, 2008
A Galaxy Far Far Away
Hiya BYC folks!

This morning, I heard it. "ER ER ER ER ERRRHHHH!

As I scanned my 8 10-week old chicks, the sound repeated - and lo and behold, my pretty and sweet gold-laced polish is the culprit!!!

Then I thought.. you know... that wasn't really very loud.... I had a rooster when I was young, and I swear he could be heard for miles.

So I am wondering - is that as loud as it will get? Or is his voice still developing and he is going to ramp up to Foghorn levels?

I live on 1.5 acres - on a small lake, and the sound carries -- just can't keep him if his volume increases..

Any BYC folks out there with experience observing developing roosters?

Thanks

(edited for typos)

Last edited:
They do get a bit louder after their first crow but more they perfect the technique of it. Have you considered putting a wooden fence on parts where it could block the sound? Better to catch it before someone complains like what happened to me. Now they got me pinpointed.

Kris -

Thanks for the info!
smile.png

Sorry to hear your neighbors have you on their radar....

Good idea on the fence -- might muffle the sound enough to keep me in the neighbors good graces...

Have 3 roos right now, 1 barred rock and 2 aracaunas. Each seem to take turns crowing and agitating the turkeys so they reply and we end up with a concert. When they started crowing they sounded like they had a cold or laryngitis but got louder as they practiced. We are on the outskirts of town so we haven't had complaints on our trio.
A fence or sound barrier might help but one of our roos likes to fly up on the pole barn to crow so it might not help if you have a showoff - unless his wings were clipped.

my frizzle roo has started to crow....

i am wondering if it will get louder as well....

it is so darn soft its funny......

does anyone know about frizzles crow??????

let me know please!
lol.png

Thanks, everyone! Your comments are very helpful. He did sound like he had a scratchy throat yesterday... Not a sound today (that I heard anyway!). And I am glad to hear that someone has a polish whose crow is not that loud. *crossing fingers* But it does sound like the volume will increase with practice....*ack*
th.gif

I know I am grabbing at straws here - but I've heard that some roosters row all the time and others just crow periodically. So - when do the frequently crowing roosters start to show their tendencies? Right when they start crowing, or does it build up over time?

This fellow has been quiet since the first sounds..and I am just wondering if there is any way (I know.. I am the Queen of Denial!) this could mean he will be the more quiet type??
idunno.gif

Thanks again, everyone!

Back
Top Bottom