Rooster crowing at night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coachhaze, Nov 6, 2009.

1. coachhaze

coachhaze Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2008
    Morganton
    Anybody having this happen? I have heard my roosters start crowing at hight a couple of different times. Is it because of the full moon or something else??

2. 19Dawn76

19Dawn76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    it s very odd that you posted this cause i was just about to post a thread about MY roo crowing all night last night. I mean ALL night !!!!

3. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Our roos do it all the time and we have 17 full grown crowing roosters. It gets pretty melodic sometimes. It is just a vocalization to keep their flock in check. Ours do it during a full moon or no moon. They usually start at 2am for 5 min or less then at around 3:30 for 5 min or less and then start in pretty good about 5am. Some nights they might crow as early as midnight but it is usually about 2 when they start.

4. Sanguine

Sanguine New Egg

Jun 19, 2009
    My first rooster, Cinnamon Toast, a Gold-laced Wyandotte (sp?) does not crow particularly at dawn, but crows all day whenever someone comes to the house or I step outside. He seems to crow when he wants attention or sees a person. I am a bit concerned as there is a new housing development close by and wonder if anyone will object.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    In the last five minutes I heard/counted my Partridge Cochin roo crow 16 times and my Blue polish twice. It's 3:03AM here now.

6. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Mine crowed one night to tattle on me for going out to sneak a cigarette (the beast!). Now, I make sure I don't turn on the porch light to do that. lol
    Sanguine, I have a roo named Toast, too! (he was supposed to be a girl, I taught him tricks and everything. [​IMG] I have no use for a mutt roo, but I love him. Anyone want to caponize him for me, please?) I figure that way, I can keep him.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Our Lilly is in heat and has been howling. Waking up the roos....

8. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    Quote:<taking notes> "Don't rat out BorderKelpie for smoking"...Caponize!!..sheeesh

9. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Quote:<taking notes> "Don't rat out BorderKelpie for smoking"...Caponize!!..sheeesh

LOL!!
    I don't want to caponize him for that (it was the other roo that ratted me out, BTW)
    I want him neutered so I can keep him as a pet.
    Although, that would be a great threat to see if I can get Christian to stop tattling on me.......[​IMG]
    I do love my (illegal) boys.

10. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    yeah...the bad (illegal) boys always get the goils...unless of course they've seen you smoking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by