Rooster crowing early

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BlackCoffee, Sep 27, 2016.

1. BlackCoffee

BlackCoffee Just Hatched

Aug 12, 2016
    [​IMG]

One of my little Black Australorpe X roosters is already starting to crow at 7 1/2 weeks! Am I just forgetting when they start, or is that early?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd say its quite early for them to be really crowing. I've had six week olds try to crow, but then given up until they were older.

3. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    I have a Chocolate Cuckoo cockerel that's tried to crow, he is about 2 or 3 months I think

4. PingoBags

PingoBags Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2016
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    My blue australorp is close to 16 weeks and all I hear from him is a peep

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    My earliest was an adorable Fayoumi cockerel (MMcM free extra) who started at 28 days of age! His hackle feathers were little stubs on his neck, and he'd throw his little head back and squalk. Beyond cute! He moved to a new home, but sometime I'd like to have a small group of the breed. Irresistable! Mary

6. BlackCoffee

BlackCoffee Just Hatched

Aug 12, 2016
    Aww!! Wow!! My little guy didn't do an actual articulate crow, just a funny sounding raspy squalk, like they do when they are beginning. This particular little roo thinks a lot of himself already. I think his ego trip began a few days ago when there was a mouse in the feed bin, so I tossed it out and he caught it and killed it. He was SO proud of that mouse, it was hilarious! He was just strutting around with it in his mouth. I'd never seen a rooster so proud. He also was protecting his siblings yesterday from bully hens.

7. stellagirl

stellagirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2016
    Ingleside, TX
    My Prince Charming started crowing at 6 wks!
    He's a silver duckwing oegb
    So stinking cute!!! :)

8. Grace11

Grace11 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    My month old BO roo this yr started crowing then, Then 2 weeks later he grabs the skin on the back of my hand and swung himself around and tried to mate my wrist! left a deposit. ewwweeewwwe, ick. GROSS! he instantly became not cute anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by