Rooster crowing in jubilation?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dawny2u2, Dec 23, 2009.

1. dawny2u2

dawny2u2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Winston, MT
    I had two little black cochin roosters - brothers. Since getting older, they go their own ways, and Little Richard had been seen (by me) picking on Little Dick. (I did not name these guys). A friend at work lost his rooster, likes bantys, so he agreed to take Little Richard. Since returning home, there has been a lot of cockadoodledoing coming from the shy Little Dick. Anyone willing to take on the role of chicken psychologist, and help me figure out....is he missing his brother (they never were together), OR....is he proclaiming his new spot as king of the roost? Not that it matters....just getting a laugh out of his obvious..... mood change.

2. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Since his brother left, he has become the dominant bird, and that is how he is showing it.

Many people notice this when their dominant rooster dies or leaves. There is always another in line to take his place. [​IMG]

3. dawny2u2

dawny2u2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Winston, MT
    You aren't called The Chicken Whisperer for nothing! Thanks for the insight.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Yup, he's top cock now and braggin' it up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by