Rooster crowing late at night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nebbo, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Nebbo

Nebbo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2007
    Kingston, WA
    My almost year old Leghorn (well, he's big and white) roo has started crowing between midnight and 0100. I just checked for predators scratching around again (it's 12:30): nothing. Has anybody else ever run into this?

Neb
    Kingston, WA

2. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Roosters just do that. I hear mine crowing all during the night along with others in the neighborhood I live in.

3. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I've had that happen more than with just one rooster. Some just seem more vocal than others.

Julie

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I was told once that he hears something and it is his way of telling others that this is his territory. Mine would crow at 3am sometimes [​IMG]

5. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, mine did it when they heard something happening outside the front yard, perhaps you can hang something dark over his pen if its small enough.
    Has he done this often or has it just started? could be a pred!
    Good luck.

6. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    for the most part my guy will start crowing around 4:30am and keep going till it starts to get dark then he crows a few more times telling his hens it is bedtime.once in the coop and i shut the door he normally stays quiet unless he hears a noise than he will corw for a good hour till he is sure he told them to go away, most of the time it is just a tree branch hitting the top of the coop !!

Julie

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Our boys crow at any given time after dark. The first time it happened, I ran outside with my headlamp, hickory walking stick, the Glock and the dog figuring we had a predator. Nope...it was headlights shining thru the trees at the back of the run. [​IMG] They also enjoy serenading the neighbors' security light at any given time after dark, the later the better.[​IMG]

Dawn

8. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I've heard mine crow at owls hooting in the dark. They'll also crow at night when you turn the porch light on. Otherwise I usually don't hear them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by