Rooster crowing question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kassaundra, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    If you have two flocks of 10 hens each both housed seperately but in the same yard and one rooster in each flock will that make each rooster crow more? Like in competition w/ each other?

2. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    i use to have two roos that where housed together but my leghorn killed himself [​IMG] anyways sorry off subject alittle
    okay so i noticed my leg horn was the dominant male he would chace my barred rock off the females. but didnt fight him.
    since my leghorn was domant he didnt allow my barred rock to crow.. now that he is gone he is crowing alot more.
    with them being housed in seprate houses that would make them both domanant so it might be differant. but IMO they didnt compeat they more had their place. my PBJ (barred rock) knew to stay away from Kayeff Cee (leghorn) because he was the big man:)
    hope that helps

3. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    I Would think that at first they will but only till they setup their territory. Then thongs should quite down.

4. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    i think it just depends on the rooster i have 4 roosters that can crow now and when i first got them from different ppl they never faught or had crowing competition just one rooster who i call harley davidson who a buff orpington does most of the crowing during the morning then Turk my silkie rooster in the afternoon the others Handsome cochin standard and Pretty Boy americana hardly crow at all so it just really depends on the birds [​IMG]

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    My roosters in separate enclosures engage in responsive crowing at various times in the day and they have had this set up for over a year. It is a good thing I like to hear them crow and that I don't have neighbors too nearby.

6. cmpeagle79

cmpeagle79 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    I used to have a RIR that would crow at like 10 pm

7. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    We have several roo's they all have crowing sesions with each other, Our neighbors on both side's each about 100 yards away have flocks and it is a constant crowing compition. Our roo's will crow then the Bigg's will crow back then the Mackey's will crow then ours again its a constant crow fest [​IMG] I have not seen one roo mess with another because they were crowing, mating yes crowing no.

8. stgordon2

stgordon2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2011
    My quail crow all night and lounge in the day theye sure are lazy

9. stgordon2

Aug 26, 2011
    My quail just laid there first eggs!! sooo cool!

10. stgordon2

Aug 26, 2011
    Now i need to make them a nesting box

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by