Rooster crowing - turned out well

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Petra Pancake, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Petra Pancake

Petra Pancake Chillin' With My Peeps

Just wanted to tell a brief story with a happy ending, so far: A week ago I got two Bantam roosters, one for my mixed breed laying flock and one together with a hen of the same kind (Japanese Bantam) for breeding. Before I bought them, I had tried to find out how loud Bantam roosters are - but as always on the internet there were all kinds of different opinions, from loud and shrill to softly croaking. So I took the risk and bought them to try it out. The next morning, they started a happy crowing duet at exactly 06:00. They were on different sides of the house but of could course still hear and encourage each other. They are about half as loud as full sized roosters but still quite noticeable in the early morning silence. And they carry on every morning for about 30 - 40 minutes. I started feeling bad when I thought of our next door neighbor who is an elderly, chronically ill man. He's a nice guy who has lent us his car more than a few times so I really didn't want to rob him of his sleep. His bedroom window is rather close to out backyard coop and the backyard is small - I can't move the coop. So overnight I wrapped 2 old thin mattresses around the backyard coop and put thick old blankets over the porch aviary with the breeding pair to muffle the sound. The next morning they crowed only at 07:20 - maybe because the mattresses and blankets blocked a good deal of the light, and the noise was a bit reduced. Problem solved, I thought. But the day after that they were back on at 06:00. Aaaargh. I started reading up on rooster collars and everything that can go wrong with them. I started looking or strips of velcro. Then I prepared mentally for having to sell one or both roosters. In the end I asked my DH, who gets along well with the neighbor, to speak to him and find out how much the roosters disturb him. I braced myself for the worst. And - he said the roosters don't disturb him at all, he didn't even notice them! Wonderful, I have to make a mental note to bring him some eggs when my hens come out of their winter break.

[​IMG]

(I just hope the folks across the street don't start noticing my roosties, let's hope they are far enough away [​IMG] )

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That's great. Not everyone minds the sound of rooster. Can you move their coops closer to each other? It should cut down on the competitive crowing when they can see each other. It should, but you never know.

3. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Glad your neighbor doesn't object to the crowing, that's definitely worth some eggs!

I've never had a rooster but always enjoy hearing them.

4. Joshsgirl1

Joshsgirl1 Just Hatched

Jan 24, 2017
    Somewhere, NC.
    You can always go to mypetchicken.com and check into No Crow Collars. They are humane and made out of fabric and mesh. (They even come with the option of a bow tie!), They fit on the bottom part of the neck, and don't let the rooster push enough air out to have a full on crow. They can still breathe normal, an eat, drink, etc, just not crow. They come in various sizes, from bantam to the biggest of the big. After awhile, if they still are crowing, they are only as loud as a hen.

5. Joshsgirl1

Joshsgirl1 Just Hatched

Jan 24, 2017
    Somewhere, NC.
    I would like a Roo for flock protection, but don't want more chickens! Lol! Roo neutering, perhaps?? LOL.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I have read of roosters being strangled by no crow collars and recently a members rooster got severe frost bite while wearing one. I wouldn't recommend one. Let a rooster be a rooster.

2 people like this.
  7. Joshsgirl1

Joshsgirl1 Just Hatched

Jan 24, 2017
    Somewhere, NC.
    Did not know that. I am new to this, so that is new to me. I apologize.

8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    No need to apologize. People use them, but they have risks. They work by cutting off the roosters air supply when he raises his head to crow. I think it's sad.

9. Joshsgirl1

Joshsgirl1 Just Hatched

Jan 24, 2017
    Somewhere, NC.
    Like I said, I just now heard of them, an I heard of them from a chicken page (not here) so I thought it was ok. :(

10. 10AcreChick

10AcreChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2015
    Central Missouri

Well, yes, there is a such thing as rooster castration. Can't at this moment remember what it is called. But a simpler solution would be to collect the eggs every day and eat them! The fertile ones tastes the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by