Rooster crowing very loudly

SoFluffy

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 18, 2011
My rooster (he's pretty smart) that I really adore that I pet pretty much every day, Fluffy crows very loudly and I think I have mentioned this before but right now I need more ideas. One of our three closest neighbours has just complained about the noise and if the problem isn't fixed soon, she'll call the city council and I'll have no choice but to cull it. But there is a catch-

she works during the night and sleeps during the morning (aka night shift)
he.gif
barnie.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
so she can't sleep well.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea to make it shut up?
duc.gif
At the moment my father's trying to put something around his neck, he has attempted to do this a couple of times but Fluffy just takes it off but we are trying it again.
The pitch-black soundproof coop is working very well and I can barely hear it from the kitchen but after he's taken out, he's crows darn loud
hmm.png
but at nighttime, he stops fortunately.
My two barred rock roosters have been culled already and it would be very sad for this one to go.

Any suggestions?
Some ideas would be greatly appreciated,

P.S I'll do anything to save him.

-Jack

EDIT: Putting the thing around his neck isn't working so well and Fluffy somehow undid the double knot once so now we're leaving it in the storeroom, creating a space for it to move around and it reduces the sound coming to the neighbour's place. Occasionally we would let him out in the backyard while someone is standing right next to him, preparing to hit him with a stick if he crows.

Last edited:
Quote:
We lowered the ceiling at nighttime but in daytime I'm not too sure...

perhaps you could keep him in the coop (with a girlfriend?) later in the day until the neighbour is done sleeping? I really despise selfish neighbours.
hmm.png
hope you figure something out.

Quote:
I don't think it's selfishness. When you're working a night shift getting proper sleep is hard anyway. Add a rooster to the mix and it must be driving the poor neighbour up the wall some days.

Hope you can sort this one out. I love my chickens but ultimately I have to say that I'd cull one if it were causing a neighbour big issues.

Roosters crow, if you aren't supposed to have them then don't. The neighbor is not being selfish, they are working and providing for their family during a very hard shift to work. They are not being selfish I'm sorry to say, but you are. Roosters corow, that's what they do. If you can't bear to cull him then rehome him. Roosters crow and adding contraptions or dodads or whatever isn't going to make it stop.

I think you know the answer since you've answered the same question twice already. I'm an urban chicken owner and I understand your problem. I can't have roosters since the crowing is against noise ordinances. If I didn't like or want chickens and a neighbor had a rooster that crowed, day or night, I'd be upset too. Compound that with their sleep habits and you've got a no win situation. This is your problem to solve quickly without or with the city's help. I'd get ahead of it, rehome or cull and move on.

I'll be the odd man out. If you are allowed to have roosters, then her complaint to the council will go nowhere. Noise ordaninces aren't. Written for daylight hours. It's legal to let your dog bark all day, to rev your motorcycle, mow your lawn, work on your house, etc etc. Why? Because life has to go on for the rest of the world.

It might not be good neighbor relations, but honestly, she will find some other noise that keeps her awake when the rooster is gone.

Note: if your purpose is to make sure the neighbor stays happy disregard everything I said. But you giving up something you own so that the neighbors don't complain isn't a compromise.

Do your homework first- what are your city's noise ordinances? If they don't allow for roosters, you know what you need to do but if they do, work with your neighbor. Are bad neighbor relations worth it? How about you consider the "Golden Rule" on this one?

The blue "Hearos" earplugs (10 pair for $4 at WalMart in the first aid/hearing aid battery section) along with a dozen eggs may help her out.

I sleep through my roommates' movies and elephant-man thunking, thunderstorms, the apocalypse... the only thing I've been able to hear with those plugs is Call of Duty artillery with the subwoofer on. Otherwise I'm a goner, and I sleep so lightly a feather falling will wake me up. Give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom