Rooster crowing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicklette, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Chicklette

Chicklette Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2009
    Our neighbours have a young rooster, he's probably about 17 weeks. So far he crows in the morning, crows throughout the day and into the evening. He's been crowing for a few weeks now and there is no cock a doodle do, rather he sounds a bit like a sad donkey [​IMG]

My question is, will his crow improve or do some of them always sound a little funny? And once they establish a pattern of crowing all the time, do they keep it up?

If we were ever to get a rooster, since they could hear each other, would they compete with each other by crowing? I don't mind the rooster sound at all, but I'd like a bit of peace and quiet sometimes.

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I think they do get more mature in their crowing, but if he sounds like a sad donkey now...he may not improve much!

Depending on how close they are, yes, they will crow back & forth.

3. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    I have 3 roos and my dad has 2 and they all go at it all the time.

4. Evilkitty162

Evilkitty162 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    Myakka City
    I have about 6 to 7 roos and they do have crowing contests ALL the time!![​IMG] [​IMG]I'm sick of it. lol [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  5. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    i have two roos about six months and they crow all day spraticly and one sounds normal and the other sounds like a sad donkey or a dying dog!!! so idk if he will improve b/c these are my first crowing roos my 8 month old EE doesnt crow!!! but i just thought i would say that

6. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Our neighbor's Gold Comet rooster sounded like screeching brakes when he first started.

There are 4 roosters in a 1/3 mile stretch so they all are "marking their territory" to one another. We hear crowing quite a bit. We also get a "stereo effect" in the morning when all 4 go at once.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by