Rooster crowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PhlyinPheBee, Jul 3, 2010.

1. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Hi there to all. I have a Araucana rumpless roo that is coming of age. He is crowing almost every breath most of the morning and even crows at 8:15 pm. It is still some light out that last. Also he is mating with several of the hens. Do you think that he will slow down on the crowing once he is a little older??? I live where I can have a roo but the neighbors are so not happy about he all day singing. I so want to keep him do to the fact that now my flock is closed and if I want any more chickens I need to hatch them out here.

Thanks

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

He may calm a bit over time. If he hears another rooster in the distance, as mine do, that will make him crow more than if he was the only one.

3. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Sometimes I can hear my uncles roo from 5 acres away at times. I can say that my roo is way louder than theirs. I was over there yesterday and could hear mine loud and clear!! I will be giving him more time. He is soooooooo cool to look at with his no butt self!!!!

4. NC29mom

NC29mom Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Gosh, what's the BIG DEAL about a rooster crowing??? I just love to hear them. My rooster crows through out the day, but it has never bothered me. I really can't hear him if I am in the house anyway. What's the difference in all the noise birds make and a rooster crowing? I just don't agree with not allowing roosters simply because they crow!

I love our roosters (-: (-: (-:

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    If you live where you can have a rooster-don't worry about it. I understand you don't want bad relations with your neighbors, but here's my theory-if the neighbors don't want to listen to my boys crowing in the mornings(I am outside city limits so they are allowed) then they need to move back to the city.

6. NC29mom

NC29mom Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Quote:AMEN!!!

7. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Songster

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Well, here's the big deal...some people work nights! My husband works 12 hour nights at a VERY busy Emergency Room in a hospital in Nashville, TN. I have gone to great lengths to make sure he gets decent sleep over our 20+ years of marriage (hard to do when you have twin boys!) but I felt his sleep is really important...he takes care of people when they need help the most! If he is exhausted from lack of sleep it is harder to do his job effectively. Now...I bought 12 'sexed' chicks and of course, one is a roo! [​IMG] I intend to keep him until A) he flogs me or B) he can still be heard through the purple foam ear plugs from WalMart! [​IMG] I really want to keep him and let any hen that goes broody have a bunch of chicks! But, if he keeps my DH awake, he will have to go...Maybe only as far as my neighbor's house...they have RIR hens:lau Maybe he could visit back and forth! We'll just have to see how it goes:fl Just another point of view!

8. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Songster

You know, it isn't that hard to get fertile eggs to put under a broody hen, and the hen won't care whose eggs they are. The roosters I've had crowed most in the morning but they all would crow off and on all day. I'm also an ER person and work late, really need that sleep, and a rooster WILL wake you up if you aren't one of those folks that can sleep thru anything. Roosters are beautiful and cool and may help protect their girls, and they are very fun to observe, but a flock can be perfectly happy and much more peaceful (though certainly not silent) without one. I would keep the option of rehoming that rooster wide open.

9. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Traffic, sirens, dogs barking right under your window, the sound of neighbors fussing through a thin wall, some young 'ens car stereo...uh, thanks, but give me the sound of a rooster crowing over any of this all day long.
    Sorry, I'm country down in my soul and city sounds go all over me.
    I LOVE the sound of my boys crowing. [​IMG]

10. NC29mom

NC29mom Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    He should get used to it after awhile. I hardly ever hear my rooster crowing - unless I am actually outside. Rocky usually crows at around 0400, so I am dead asleep and even with the window up, he doesn't wake me. I've worked those long 12h night shifts myself, (nurse) and all I can say is - by the time I got home and got in the bed I WAS GONE!! I was so exhausted from running all night, NOTHING could have kept me awake - certainly not a rooster.

I just love watching our rooster and hens interact. And he is so protective of his girls. I would hate for you to miss out on all the chicken watching - it's soooo much funner with a rooster.

I VOTE KEEP THE ROOSTER!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by